Jeep Gladiator Pickup

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Now THAT is cool as hell.

It was so fun --with only two seats inside and a lockable center console with no padding on top (because that is where I got to sit when we rode around in the fields). Still had the high-beam switch on the floor. Ours had a padded grab bar which was an extra option. :rofl: Hardtop was removable but heavy as hell. Great memories.

However, my sister drove it in high school and at only 8 years old it had a bunch of problems--including rusted out motor mounts and brakes that would fail randomly. She learned a lot and everyone thought it was cool though!
sc0516-240374_2@2x.jpg

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Let's pretend that Gladiator will be Jeep's biggest hit in decades, which it actually could be.

What effect will that have on other manufacturers?

Look at it. Is it overly hard to imagine a NAS G500 with a bed being sold? Would it be unreasonable to wonder if it might inspire Toyota to create a unified platform that would close the Land Cruiser 70 gap in the US? Could it send Land Rover into a bit of a head-scratching moment in regard to the Defender?

I'm thinking everyone might want to hope this is a success for Jeep. I would imagine AEV will get their paws on it, as noted, and there's no telling what that guy will do.

I just wish it didn't have those stupid fender vents. I know they're supposed to be doing something, but damn. It's not a Ferrari. Break out the louvers, for crying out loud, or just vent the hood cleverly to preserve the retro appearance. The rear... The more I look at that from different angles, the more I see that past inspiration. I'm starting to appreciate what they did back there a little more, but I can't get over those vents as easily.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I think this seems more useful.
47207834_2349057378468800_7965524575695929344_n.jpg

That stuff is fun, but it kind of annoys me.

I've been in some fairly ratty places, in my time, and that's not where you usually see a vehicle set up in that manner.

Generally, they're passing through villages and well-traveled routes; hopping villages where people raise their kids, and where the little buggers are playing soccer in the streets.

The comes some first-world dingbat who is projecting the image that their town is just too shitty to drive a regular car through, despite generations of kids playing and growing up in those villages. It's a bit of an insult, and at the very least makes you look like a a tool.

Nothing wrong with the gear if that's your thing, but I think a lot of people are making themselves targets or simply losing a bit of credibility out there; and credibility is important. It'll get you places that you otherwise would never find.

That image has always bugged me a bit. I mean, fuck anyone who's offended by anything, but there is a case to be made for not being a dick; intentional or not, and whether everyone notices or not.

That's the nice thing about a local score (nearly always an irritation, but also nearly always generates more entertaining stories) or simply a Discovery. It doesn't stand out as much, and they're fairly common.

I get it when people are older or damaged. I don't know if I'll be taking washboards on solid axles again, or doing the sweaty, remote, dangerous stuff I used to enjoy. There might be a point in which I discover sleeping in the driver seat or cargo area just doesn't work anymore.

In that case, yeah; it makes much more sense. It's still a camping or mission-specific vehicle, though; rather than a vehicle designed for down and dirty work in remote areas.

That's one of the reasons I was considering a Prospector, despite my reservations. They're not too crazy-looking, having the appearance of a forestry maintenance vehicle, and I'll bet the ride quality is nice. Those fuckers are expensive as hell, but I feel you're actually getting somewhere near what you're paying for, given the price of conventional RAMs.

Cheers,

Kennith

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
THe wheel base is too long to be any good offroad without massive 40"+ tires. Same issue every Tacoma owner finds out when they think they have the ultimate offroader! lol I do like the idea though.

That's a bit of a stretch. But a 4 door Tacoma with a little lift and tires is an excellent off road vehicle. Maybe one of the best that you can buy new and little modification. Especially fitted with an E locker (off road edition). Air it down and they were likely the most capable and reliable training vehicles we had.

Long wheel base does not equal poor off road performance. I'd rather have 110" wheel base over a 90" wheel base 80% of the time.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
That's a bit of a stretch. But a 4 door Tacoma with a little lift and tires is an excellent off road vehicle. Maybe one of the best that you can buy new and little modification. Especially fitted with an E locker (off road edition). Air it down and they were likely the most capable and reliable training vehicles we had.

Long wheel base does not equal poor off road performance. I'd rather have 110" wheel base over a 90" wheel base 80% of the time.

You've been to Big Creeek at Uwharrie. Ive spent more time waiting to get 4 door tacomas unstuck (high centered) than any other vehicle. Most of those guys had no idea what they were getting into. Whenever I see a 4 door Taco in the group I warn them. Long vehicles in tight woods doesnt work well. Nor does it work well when there are sharp rocks that grab anything low on the truck. Now talking about an extended cab short bed, and yes I would agree with you.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
That stuff is fun, but it kind of annoys me.

I've been in some fairly ratty places, in my time, and that's not where you usually see a vehicle set up in that manner.

Generally, they're passing through villages and well-traveled routes; hopping villages where people raise their kids, and where the little buggers are playing soccer in the streets.

The comes some first-world dingbat who is projecting the image that their town is just too shitty to drive a regular car through, despite generations of kids playing and growing up in those villages. It's a bit of an insult, and at the very least makes you look like a a tool.

Nothing wrong with the gear if that's your thing, but I think a lot of people are making themselves targets or simply losing a bit of credibility out there; and credibility is important. It'll get you places that you otherwise would never find.

That image has always bugged me a bit. I mean, fuck anyone who's offended by anything, but there is a case to be made for not being a dick; intentional or not, and whether everyone notices or not.

That's the nice thing about a local score (nearly always an irritation, but also nearly always generates more entertaining stories) or simply a Discovery. It doesn't stand out as much, and they're fairly common.

I get it when people are older or damaged. I don't know if I'll be taking washboards on solid axles again, or doing the sweaty, remote, dangerous stuff I used to enjoy. There might be a point in which I discover sleeping in the driver seat or cargo area just doesn't work anymore.

In that case, yeah; it makes much more sense. It's still a camping or mission-specific vehicle, though; rather than a vehicle designed for down and dirty work in remote areas.

That's one of the reasons I was considering a Prospector, despite my reservations. They're not too crazy-looking, having the appearance of a forestry maintenance vehicle, and I'll bet the ride quality is nice. Those fuckers are expensive as hell, but I feel you're actually getting somewhere near what you're paying for, given the price of conventional RAMs.

Cheers,

Kennith

The image I posted was from an Australian. They have been doing tray backs and similar with land cruisers for years. So it would make sense they would do it with the Jeep.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Here are some numbers.

4 door JL - 118" wheelbase
4 door tacoma - 127" wheelbase
Gladiator - 137" wheelbase
4 door F150 with a long bed -141" wheelbase

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
Toyotas have countless items hanging underneath to get caught on, I have always admired the forethought land rover put into the coilers. The frame ears, parking brake drum, and the catalytic convertors is about all that hangs beneath the frame rails. Its hard to beat the Land Rover coil sprung platform.

Land Rover sucks and has sucked for over a decade, good for Jeep for sticking with it all the years.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Its hard to beat the Land Rover coil sprung platform.

I agree with your comment in general. For all of its faults, the basic formula that Land Rover used for 30+ years (starting with the Range Rover) had a lot going for it and was fundamentally sound. Shame the build quality and reliability never achieved the levels they should have.

That being said, I've spent a little time behind the wheel of the newer independent suspension Rovers and their off-road performance is impressive. That's not to say the overall package is superior in every aspect, but in some areas the L322 Range Rover and LR3/4 are very, very good straight out of the box.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
The image I posted was from an Australian. They have been doing tray backs and similar with land cruisers for years. So it would make sense they would do it with the Jeep.

That's a different story.

They like to go camping all the time, and the craziness makes more sense if all you have to do is decide where to mount your kitchen and fifty-two foot awning. I mean, with those guys, you're basically building a tail-gating rig to park in a desert and have a boring party.

They get sucked into trends so damned fast they fuck up the whole market. I'm not their biggest fan, in general. If I had more options easily purchased, I'd strip all the Aussie crap out of my vehicles.

Cheers,

Kennith

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
You've been to Big Creeek at Uwharrie. Ive spent more time waiting to get 4 door tacomas unstuck (high centered) than any other vehicle. Most of those guys had no idea what they were getting into. Whenever I see a 4 door Taco in the group I warn them. Long vehicles in tight woods doesnt work well. Nor does it work well when there are sharp rocks that grab anything low on the truck. Now talking about an extended cab short bed, and yes I would agree with you.

Sure - a rock crawler will out perform a truck any day of the week in going vertical over boulders. For all around 4-wheeling? With actual people and equipment in the vehicle? No.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Now that's an eye-opening perspective

I looked that up earlier after verifying that my eyes weren't deceiving me when I first saw the number.

That's narrow for the wheelbase. You're certainly going to feel the rear axle tracking through corners.

Cheers,

Kennith

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
What's so hard to understand? It's a pickup that looks like a Jeep, has a removable top, and is slightly more capable than your average pickup. Done.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
What's so hard to understand? It's a pickup that looks like a Jeep, has a removable top, and is slightly more capable than your average pickup. Done.
It's a pickup, an American icon.
It's a Jeep, an American icon (owned by FixItAgainTony, but most folks overlook that)
Slightly more capable, it'll kick ass at the mall, also an American icon.

Merica! Fuck yeah!

I think they'll sell well.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com

Yep. I've spent months of time on the trails there. With everything from FZJ80s, Hiluxes, etc. Every truck has it's strength and weaknesses all over that property. I'll take a slightly lifted Taco and FZJ80 most of the time. The 80 is honestly one of the best platforms out there overall - dead reliable, factory lockers, solid front/rear....... But for something I'd use as a DD and off-road, the Taco is at the top of my list.

To a novice/average driver, Big Creek can be a handful in anything over 100" wheelbase - but to a very skilled driver, it's not a big deal in most conditions and some minor prep. They are cutting down more trees this winter/spring there too, so it will have quite a bit more room for the average driver/clubs.

I've had my fair share of damage there to my training vehicles, but I'm doing 50% defensive/evasive driving and 50% off road these days anyhow. Maybe I'll have a normal job someday. :)