Bluetooth in a Stock D1 Radio?

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
My low tech solution, a 34 dollar fm transmitter that plugs into 12 volt accessory port. Has bluetooth, two usb charge ports, can also handle a memory stick or a micro SD card. Automatically pairs bluetooth when key is on. Can't do phone calls but it's fine for my intended use.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Those dont work at all in a city with more than a couple million people, and not being able to skip songs is like watching tv without a dvr

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Those dont work at all in a city with more than a couple million people, and not being able to skip songs is like watching tv without a dvr

I'm rural so I don't have that issue. It does allow you to select a station. I had to scroll around to find a clean station. It also has skip, repeat, adjustable input level. Comes with remote that has more functions but I haven't used that. I was skeptical at first because, one it's manufactured by PYLE, two because it's an fm transmitter.

The bass in the disco leaves a little to be desired so occasionally my daughter takes the portable bluetooth JBL Charge2 which actually does a pretty nice job inside the vehicle. It won't rattle the neighbors windows but then neither does the disco.

This might be a little hokey but you could build a separate system in the vehicle. A box with a sub, couple speakers, a nice four channel amp and bridge the sub. All you need is power, ground, switched power, and a bluetooth adapter to plug into source on amp. I've done some marine installations where people don't even want a receiver. Everything is hidden with exception of the primary speakers. Power it by the key, or flip a switch, pair your device. You could go as crazy as you want this way and keep that clunker in the dash for aesthetics. :)

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
So itll have aux in with player controls like the old version, microphone through the aux for voice commands and dialing and stuff, along with all of that through bluetooth. Going to throw in a circuit that auto detects ctia vs omtp so it'll be android and ios freindly since I'm not sure how that standards battle will end since CTIA was winning before Apple gave up on the 3.5mm jack. And a ton of circuitry to keep ground loops away

hope to order boards by the end of the month.

VERY cool!

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
The bass in the disco leaves a little to be desired so occasionally my daughter takes the portable bluetooth JBL Charge2 which actually does a pretty nice job inside the vehicle. It won't rattle the neighbors windows but then neither does the disco.

Upgrading the bass is the easiest and the biggest impact for me. Buy a mono amp, stick it in the pocket next to the subs, wire it up, and upgrade the subwoofer drivers.

two of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-W64-...F8&qid=1510155396&sr=8-9&keywords=6.5"+woofer

and one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-R...&qid=1510154823&sr=8-7&keywords=mono+auto+amp

...some wire and connectors and you're on your way to rockin down the highway.

Bypassing the CD player and routing audio to a box in the cubby is a little more involved but at the end of the day I have a single wire coming from the center cubby which both charges my phone and plays audio directly into the existing system. I figured I'd be charging my phone anyway so I didn't look for a wireless solution.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Upgrading the bass is the easiest and the biggest impact for me. Buy a mono amp, stick it in the pocket next to the subs, wire it up, and upgrade the subwoofer drivers.

Can you elaborate a little on this? Did you just use the existing connections in the cargo door to hook it all up? I have upgraded my bass speakers but they sound anemic, the amp sucks I guess. Do these speakers sound better with the stock setup or do you really need the new amp to make them perform. My son prefers the Range rover due to its better bass response, this might be a fix for the Disco and he can drive it to high school.

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan

Nice. I've been debating how to approach this but that's a nice simple way to go. Those factory bass drivers in the rear door are a joke. My other thought was to just through a powered sub under the rear seat.

Crutchfield has all kinds of compact powered subs that tuck away in tight spaces.https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/powered_subwoofer.html?&pg=1

I'm going to assume you pulled the speaker level input from existing speaker input at rear door and then all you need is power, ground, and switched power for wake up signal. Is that right? Did you wire it as a 2 ohm system?

I just looked around, JL audio has a 6.5 inch but is a little spendy at 179.00 each.

Last edited:

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Voltmeter (and a really dead battery)

You have to use your imagination a little, only 1 digit allowed on the left side of the -

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle

rasch_C

Dec 22, 2012
Rice Lake, WI
Finally have some free time to work on this

The chinese xs3868 is a piece of crap, redesigning it with a real microchip bm64 module

Since it'll have a few extra io pins and bluetooth serial capability I'm throwing in a feature I've been toying with. I'll probably be the only one to ever use it, but the 3 pin mini din connector goes to the 14cux diagnostic plug and it emulates an elm327 device so torque or whatever other bluetooth obd2 apps will be able to connect to it.

Still need to finalized the mic preamp circuit and maybe an audio preamp if testing shows the signal is too low.

So itll have aux in with player controls like the old version, microphone through the aux for voice commands and dialing and stuff, along with all of that through bluetooth. Going to throw in a circuit that auto detects ctia vs omtp so it'll be android and ios freindly since I'm not sure how that standards battle will end since CTIA was winning before Apple gave up on the 3.5mm jack. And a ton of circuitry to keep ground loops away

hope to order boards by the end of the month.

Shown with disco/95rrc rectangular 13 pin connector, rrc round 13 pin DIN connector, and bmw hirschmann connector all stacked up together, but only 1 will fit during assembly

robertf,

Do you have an update on this? I'd be interested in one if you make them available.

Thanks,
-Allen

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
No update, but Im back on it

What is the thought on adding a d2 cd changer plug so that you dont lose that option? D2 changers are basically free and the overhead to add this feature is much cheaper than retaining d1 cd changer.

Its actually the same interface as the obd2 port, so i couls code it where you either get an engine temp display on the head unit, or you can listen to cds

rasch_C

Dec 22, 2012
Rice Lake, WI
No update, but Im back on it

What is the thought on adding a d2 cd changer plug so that you dont lose that option? D2 changers are basically free and the overhead to add this feature is much cheaper than retaining d1 cd changer.

Its actually the same interface as the obd2 port, so i couls code it where you either get an engine temp display on the head unit, or you can listen to cds

I personally wouldn't need this feature as CDs are basically dead for me (I just rip them digitally to .flac). As part of the comms rollout in the truck, we are working on putting in a router and NAS (USB harddrive) and copy all our music/movies from the media server in the house. So, our entire library will be in the truck in digital format.

-Allen

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA

The above features alone are fantastic! The ELM utility is totally cool too!

Even if my LWB's CD changer dies, it would be back-up to digital music via BT.

YellowIron

Jan 28, 2018
Michigan
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw3-inGBcBnDvDH_Yzx-7Ecj&ust=1518949869413523

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/radios/12v-radio/radio-usb-mp3-wma-bluetooth.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-par...MI6bv3-9-s2QIVxrfACh1r9QlWEAQYASABEgLpu_D_BwE

Why isnt someone selling these? Porsche, BMW, and MB vendors do. Stock looks, modern tech, VDO quality of component construction. I gave Lucky 8 that part number 4 weeks ago and suggested they import 10 and see who buys.

What the hell are amazon ricer radios being purchased by LR owners for? Certainly not to look proper. That continental product does NA radio inputs but is not sold on the domestic market. Non LR parts guys have been selling them in the Porsche, BMW, and MB markets for a year or so. Someone needs to register as a dealer on the TR 7412UB-OR. Don't see this and go buy from ECS or other guys. I bet 20-30 of these can get sold asap through a Rover vendor.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Haven't looked at it, but haven't forgotten about it. Once I knock out a couple projects I'll get back on it.