Classical music

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I'm loving this thread. I am a music professor at a college and also a conductor of both orchestra and wind band. I LOVE classical music and listen to it daily! While this is a "strange" post for dweb...it is one I can participate in and hopefully add some of my knowledge. I am currently finishing my dissertation on a modern composer by the name of Steven Bryant. He composes primarily for wind band, but has some orchestral stuff in his repertoire.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I'm loving this thread. I am a music professor at a college and also a conductor of both orchestra and wind band. I LOVE classical music and listen to it daily! While this is a "strange" post for dweb...it is one I can participate in and hopefully add some of my knowledge. I am currently finishing my dissertation on a modern composer by the name of Steven Bryant. He composes primarily for wind band, but has some orchestral stuff in his repertoire.

I salute you, sir. I am a mere novice and appreciate your insight into anything I?ve posted. So many questions I could throw at you!

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I salute you, sir. I am a mere novice and appreciate your insight into anything I?ve posted. So many questions I could throw at you!

I think it is awesome when people appreciate classical music. There is so much shit in the current music world that more people should recognize the true art that is classical music. I also wish more people would understand what it takes to be a master at a musical instrument. I play in a professional symphony as well and every time we are together I find myself enamored by being surrounded by people who have dedicated their life to mastering their craft! It takes more than youtube and a bunch of electronic shit....

kk88rrc

I'm a fan of classical music and get to listen it to it live almost every day...... wifey is a classically trained soprano. She studied at Eastman, Manhattan and SF Conservatory. Performed with a lot of the smaller houses in NYC and now sings here & there in Maine.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
I'm huge into Contemporary Symphony, especially the cinematic stuff. Hans Zimmer, the best of the best. Want to start throwing up pieces but I'll refrain. Wonder how the two artist sides get along? I'd bet it may be something similar to the Powerboat/Sailboat crowds.

Last edited:

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I'm a fan of classical music and get to listen it to it live almost every day...... wifey is a classically trained soprano. She studied at Eastman, Manhattan and SF Conservatory. Performed with a lot of the smaller houses in NYC and now sings here & there in Maine.

That?s fantastic. Anything on YouTube that I can listen to? I?m a big fan of soprano Lieder, a la Mendelssohn, and longer pieces as well. ?Hear Ye, Israel? is one of my all time favs. He wrote it for his main love interest, a famous soprano of the time.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I'm huge into Contemporary Symphony, especially the cinematic stuff. Hans Zimmer, the best of the best. Want to start throwing up pieces but I'll refrain.

Why? Throw some stuff up here. I love to hear new things.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
Why? Throw some stuff up here. I love to hear new things.

I could see where some classical folks would not enjoy this style but hell, here it goes. The first is actually from a video game believe it or not. In my search to find any and all Zimmer this is what I came up with. Like I said, I think everything he touches turns to gold, that's just me though. The second is a short video of how Zimmer does what he does, again, amazing. The third would be my second favorite piece.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Iy4iQvJo24U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W1FIv7rFbv4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cIk-Kxw_7Kc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I could see where some classical folks would not enjoy this style but hell, here it goes. The first is actually from a video game believe it or not. In my search to find any and all Zimmer this is what I came up with. Like I said, I think everything he touches turns to gold, that's just me though. The second is a short video of how Zimmer does what he does, again, amazing. The third would be my second favorite piece.

Thanks for that. I think it would be snobbish for a lover of classical music to dismiss this. Classical music has always relied on patronage. So in today?s world, it makes sense that this most intense and emotional, this highest form of music, would be funded by movie producers and video game designers. It?s not really that different than the 19th century aristocratic patronage. The underlying dynamic is the very much the same.