Ham Radio Questions

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Here you go, you found a way to divert the Big Brother's eye :)
Seriously speaking, it is a good practical test.
Now you know what your receiver's TTFF is (it is probably less than a minute, but they can take their time peeling apart all these L1 frequency messages - when you move the receiver as much as 10 miles since the last power-up), what accuracy you get, and that you need to be reasonable when you set up your APRS messaging frequency.

Exactly.

The manual says the TTFF when first running it (from the factory) can be up to 30 min, should be faster next time.

It's pretty cool that I can transmit my exact location with that small package.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Now you know what your receiver's TTFF is (it is probably less than a minute, but they can take their time peeling apart all these L1 frequency messages - when you move the receiver as much as 10 miles since the last power-up), what accuracy you get, and that you need to be reasonable when you set up your APRS messaging frequency.

Exactly.

The manual says the TTFF when first running it (from the factory) can be up to 30 min, should be faster next time.

It's pretty cool that I can transmit my exact location with that small package.

I don't do APRS, but I usually have my GPS on when I'm still on the pavement. I've found that large trees block TTFF, but both GPSs will keep some sort of lock after first fix. I don't want to find that I'm in a canyon or under thick trees when I need a waypoint and would have to wait long for a fix.
My Cheerson drone takes about 8 minutes and I fly out of the same park each time.