Fuming over ebay

super88

Nov 28, 2004
Mile High City
Yeah, did it. I?m not holding my breath through, considering it looks have ended at about half of what market value is commanding. And of course it?s located only three hours away from me. So I?ll go have another beer and resume looking at boring ass Tahoes.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
Soooooooo...if you were gonna bid 8k....why wait till the last second? Just bid it in the last few minutes. I kinda hate that snipe shit. Seems somehow dishonest. I don't know your deal specifically but if you had the money and you were only gonna spend that....just bid it...see what happens.

super88

Nov 28, 2004
Mile High City
Totally. The whole sniping thing is a little... meh. I don?t know. Sneaky. I get that. But it does cover two things pretty well in my opinion.

1) People have a tendency to get attached after being the high bidder. They?ve already won it in their minds. Then five minutes from the end, their $8K max bid gets outbid. They say ?screw it, I want this.? Let?s make it 9. Hell, maybe they still aren?t the high bidder. So make it 10...

2) Here?s me. 5 minutes before the auction ends. I bid $8300. I?m the high bidder. The guy above bids me out. I rebid. He rebids. I have no self control. I have money to spend. So now here I?m spending $11K.

By waiting until the last minute (or 30 seconds really), the competition doesn?t have time to rebid and neither do I. So I don?t risk letting the little devil on my shoulder take control. And hopefully I win at a good price.

Obviously, the risk is some annoying glitch like being ask to login again... such was the case today. I?m just telling myself that the winning bidder had a max bid of $12K. Otherwise I?ll be staring at the ceiling all night. Damn that engine looked clean.

Bring a trailer does it right. Every time the bid gets raised, the time is extended by 2 minutes.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I use esnipe.com so I can sleep peacefully. I can remember getting up at odd hours of the night to snipe items selling on ebay. Those days are long behind me.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I don't ebay very much but when I do I snipe. Keeps me from getting too attached or into a bidding war spending more than I want.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
Lol. I've been ebaying all wrong apparently. That's true though. I once bid on a UK early Range Rover steering wheel. I love that look. It was at like 40 bucks. I wound up getting into a bidding war in the last 5 min or so. It was up to 250 before the auction ended. Looking back....I was nuts to bid that high. If I had swooped in at the latest minute w a 75 dollar bid... probably would have won it.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Exactly. I always set a max price with shipping I'm willing to pay, then add like $2.81 to make it weird. Don't know how much that helps but what the hell.

Lol. I've been ebaying all wrong apparently. That's true though. I once bid on a UK early Range Rover steering wheel. I love that look. It was at like 40 bucks. I wound up getting into a bidding war in the last 5 min or so. It was up to 250 before the auction ended. Looking back....I was nuts to bid that high. If I had swooped in at the latest minute w a 75 dollar bid... probably would have won it.