WTB - Saab 99 Turbo

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
This is only the second one I've seen come up around here in a while. The other looked about in the same shape and was in the 2k range IIRC.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Are people really getting that kind of money for cars in that kind of shape? Good lord. Several years ago I just missed out on a very solid 99 Turbo with old Panasports and Cibies. Was under $2K. Fudge. Now I find myself looking at 996s. Focus.

gerald,

Fwiw, new german performance seems to find Mk2 golf rallye's a lot. That would be a cool car, easier to get parts for.

Personally i wouldnt take a 996 if someone gave it to me and promised to always fix it for free. The only bits that fail are the vw/audi parts, window regulators, shift cables, steering locks, etc. in all honesty they are slightly bigger boxsters. The interior is very cheap for a porsche.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
gerald,

Fwiw, new german performance seems to find Mk2 golf rallye's a lot. That would be a cool car, easier to get parts for.

Personally i wouldnt take a 996 if someone gave it to me and promised to always fix it for free. The only bits that fail are the vw/audi parts, window regulators, shift cables, steering locks, etc. in all honesty they are slightly bigger boxsters. The interior is very cheap for a porsche.

I've got two friends in town with them. One 996T and one not - both are daily drivers for the most part and have been reliable (minus the IMS). 996T is more reliable, since it doesn't have the IMS potential failure from what they've told me. They have quite a few finer Porsche's in their collection as well and recognize the 996 isn't a purist car by any means - they just like its "knock about" useability.

That's far from the top of my list of things right now. An E320 4matic wagon is the best option right now as it's perfect to deal with VT winters and hold enough horse crap for those SC trips. The Hilux just doesn't ride well enough for my brittle body.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
210 4 matic wagons are getting hard to find in clean condition. They are usually pretty funky now. If you look at them at auction or private sale look at the front upper spring perches (they rot and break away from the chassis), front lower control arms (the perimeter weld rots where the lower ball joint bolts to it), they rot in the floor boards as well.
210's are hands down the most boring vehicle made, but they have probably the most worry free v6 mercedes ever made and the transmissions usually last a good while...the engines and transmissions are a dime a dozen used, PGA just sent 10 complete 112 engines to scrap because they rarely sell anymore. The body usually rots away before the engine fails.

Joel (buckhorn imports) is salvaging benz and bmws now, he can probably find a good minimal rust one for you. Joel is as picky as me so if he says he has a good one its most likely worth picking up.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
210 4 matic wagons are getting hard to find in clean condition. They are usually pretty funky now. If you look at them at auction or private sale look at the front upper spring perches (they rot and break away from the chassis), front lower control arms (the perimeter weld rots where the lower ball joint bolts to it), they rot in the floor boards as well.
210's are hands down the most boring vehicle made, but they have probably the most worry free v6 mercedes ever made and the transmissions usually last a good while...the engines and transmissions are a dime a dozen used, PGA just sent 10 complete 112 engines to scrap because they rarely sell anymore. The body usually rots away before the engine fails.

Joel (buckhorn imports) is salvaging benz and bmws now, he can probably find a good minimal rust one for you. Joel is as picky as me so if he says he has a good one its most likely worth picking up.

The 320 wagon he posted on FB got me thinking about them again. I was looking a year or so ago, but then got my 4Runner.

I have no problem with boring, since my job includes the neat o stuff. I like just having something comfy, practical and reliable I don't have to worry about much. If only the Hilux came in a wagon with leather and without a Hi Lift. They really are what they are made out to be.