panhard and shocks (D2)

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I plan on doing the panhard conversion in the rear of my d2. What shocks (length, etc...) should I get to obtain the most flex in the rear? I am running old RTE 3" springs.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
I ran 12” shocks with limit straps and longer bumpstops...pick your brand, I’m running ADS now but those are a little pricy. Bilstien 7100’s, Fox 2.0

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Couple choices for bumps...the ones that go on the shock shaft work well when space is issue. Either that one of the many brands of hydro bumps or a rubber one...I can’t pics tonight but I’ll try and post some examples from my build to show the different kinds...as for straps, you’ll have to measure once the fab work is done...

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Whats the point of limiting straps? Either retain the springs or get cones. No need for straps out back. I run 11" fox shocks and dont even get to use all of that. The radius arms bind before I can fully extend my shocks.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
to prevent destroying your shocks...With cones there nothing preventing you from topping out your shocks

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
to prevent destroying your shocks...With cones there nothing preventing you from topping out your shocks

My 11" shocks still have plenty of travel left when Im fully flexed out. The radius arms will keep it from over flexing.
Now if you were running a 4 link I would agree with you.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
I topped out one of 12" blings when I didnt have a limit strap, assuming that the radius arm is going to prevent a shock from topping out can lead to issues, especailly when straps are 25 bucks...I'll try and post pics later today

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Im not assuming, Im speaking from experience on my setup. I still have almost 3" of shock left when Im fully flexed out. The front is a different story. This past weekend I dislocated my front spring twice..even with front cones! So I will be strapping the front.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Shaft bump stop on left, big ass Chevy bumpstops on my buggy...

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
Mod the watts. It's hard to get a good angle on the pan hard. Your limiting factor is the radius arms. You won't flex enough to use any more than 12" travel. The bilstien 12" short body shocks work very well. 360/80 was good for me.

And retain those springs. Much more stable, rather much less tippy, a lifted D2 isn't really stable.