BBQ

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Has anyone done bacon?

I keep toying with the idea of getting 15lb of pork belly, brining it and smoking it.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I'm going to do a couple of briskets this spring/summer to get the hang of it, but then want to do one with a brisket from Baldwin Beef (they are in NC just south of Danville, VA).

3lb, 6oz Brisket for $38 or a [URL="https://www.baldwingrassfedbeef.com/shop/pc/Beef-Brisket-Case-14p62.htm"]case (14lb of brisket for $100)

I drove past their farm on my way to get some parts from Will T. one weekend, and got a couple of steaks. Hot damn! Grass fed, natural Charolais beef is damn delicious. (You can get it halal if you want to as well. I used to go to Siler City, NC to the farms meat processor (halal) to get free range chickens (the chicken processing shut down a couple of years ago.:( Best chickens I've ever had)

Looks good. Been sticking w 11-12lb briskets, cut in half since I currently only have a portable smoker. This one is a Masterbuilt propane smoker, but I am going to get a bigger electric one. I know some may not consider it as 'pure' but I am just tired of keeping a constant eye on it every 15 mins and dont want to pay 1500 for a Backwoods smoker.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
You might be able to find a 4 oz package to try (see pic). Honestly, I've proabably had scrapple in different forms/names (various hashes). It's just the slab looks sooooo nasty.

I agree 100% on country ham for breakfast. Or just sausage and gravy...Yum.

Interestingly enough - the Wal-Mart brand of tubed breakfast sausage doesn't have preservatives. All the Jimmy Dean or other brands are filled with BHA and BHT. The Wal-Mart brand is pure lips and assholes. Normally I try to get sausage from a local farm, but when I can't and I'm having a hankering for biscuits and sausage....

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
I brought a couple frozen pork rolls back in my carry on last time I was in Philly. Nothing quite like it. I had it shipped once but it was kind of expensive. I might have to do it again for a breakfast surprise for the kids.

There's ONE Kroger here in NE TN that carries the rolls (some sell the packages), and that's because there is a NJ/Philly transplant that works the deli counter. I always missed getting it - it would sell out in a day. So I had the deli order a whole 3lb roll for myself. Lasted about 3 mo.

#HardArteries #Worthit

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Looks good. Been sticking w 11-12lb briskets, cut in half since I currently only have a portable smoker. This one is a Masterbuilt propane smoker, but I am going to get a bigger electric one. I know some may not consider it as 'pure' but I am just tired of keeping a constant eye on it every 15 mins and dont want to pay 1500 for a Backwoods smoker.
I bought a Big Green Egg last spring. I got it because it'll do double (triple) duty as a grill, a smoker and an oven (wood fired pizza). I also don't have the space for a grill and a smoker, and I got tired of paying $400 every few years because my propane grill rusted out (A Webber Genesis is ~$1000).

Yes, the BGEs are expensive (~$1000-1200 for a large and needed accessories), but they last a lifetime. And you can always get other manufacturers that are cheaper (Kamodo Joe, for example)

I've tried several times. Apparently I suck at it. Store bought tastes better.

That's the beauty of cooking - you fuck up, you can do it again. And again, and again. But you still get to eat good (decent) stuff.

kk88rrc

You need at least an 11lb whole packer brisket to make it worth your time. Skip the brisket flats or small briskets, there's not enough fat. Get the whole packers.

What?!? No ones going to make a Dan / Garret joke.... you guys are slipping!:rofl:

Taylor ham aka the filet mignon of NJ. I like it but prefer Spam or country ham. Always stock up on ham when I'm home in NC.
The whole ham Dan posted looks great. My favorite is jamon iberico from Spain. Aged longer and the pigs are free range eating mostly acorns. :drool:

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I bought a Big Green Egg last spring. I got it because it'll do double (triple) duty as a grill, a smoker and an oven (wood fired pizza). I also don't have the space for a grill and a smoker, and I got tired of paying $400 every few years because my propane grill rusted out (A Webber Genesis is ~$1000).

Yes, the BGEs are expensive (~$1000-1200 for a large and needed accessories), but they last a lifetime. And you can always get other manufacturers that are cheaper (Kamodo Joe, for example)

That's the beauty of cooking - you fuck up, you can do it again. And again, and again. But you still get to eat good (decent) stuff.

I used a green egg and wasnt a huge fan due to somewhat limitited cooking surface. Just going to get a 4 rack electric Masterbuilt next. For about $300ish it will last me quite a bit. Like Dan said, just get a bigger brisket than 3-5 lbs. when you spend all day cooking, it sucks only having enough meat for a few sandwiches. Plus the fatty content is important; just did a 12.7lb brisket this past weekrnd. Prob have 2 lbs left after sharing w neighbors and having people over.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
I used a green egg and wasnt a huge fan due to somewhat limitited cooking surface.

Not trying to sell you one, just a fan. So FYI -

It looks smallish, but: I've got a large and smoked an 18lb turkey this past Thanksgiving - had room to spare. I've done 2 whole rib racks-again, with room to spare (and you can by a rib rack - looks like a file folder rack - to pack more in, or you can add vertical racks). I've seen pictures of people stacking 3-4 butts in, heck I've seen a 50lb whole pig. That's on a Large. Theres a bigger XL size (but about $400-500 more, IIRC).

Going vertical on a Large:
318350000_11e76567eb.jpg

44# pig on an XL:

77465a9daffc73066c57a471ed5a45ed--big-green-eggs-grills.jpg

G

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
I'm going to do a couple of briskets this spring/summer to get the hang of it, but then want to do one with a brisket from Baldwin Beef (they are in NC just south of Danville, VA).

3lb, 6oz Brisket for $38 or a [URL="https://www.baldwingrassfedbeef.com/shop/pc/Beef-Brisket-Case-14p62.htm"]case (14lb of brisket for $100)

I drove past their farm on my way to get some parts from Will T. one weekend, and got a couple of steaks. Hot damn! Grass fed, natural Charolais beef is damn delicious. (You can get it halal if you want to as well. I used to go to Siler City, NC to the farms meat processor (halal) to get free range chickens (the chicken processing shut down a couple of years ago.:( Best chickens I've ever had)

Not sure about baldwin but here ya go.

https://www.shulermeats.com/

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Not trying to sell you one, just a fan. So FYI -

It looks smallish, but: I've got a large and smoked an 18lb turkey this past Thanksgiving - had room to spare. I've done 2 whole rib racks-again, with room to spare (and you can by a rib rack - looks like a file folder rack - to pack more in, or you can add vertical racks). I've seen pictures of people stacking 3-4 butts in, heck I've seen a 50lb whole pig. That's on a Large. Theres a bigger XL size (but about $400-500 more, IIRC).

Going vertical on a Large:
318350000_11e76567eb.jpg

44# pig on an XL:

77465a9daffc73066c57a471ed5a45ed--big-green-eggs-grills.jpg

G

Nice. Dont recall what size I used; was not mine, but it was def smaller. It did still fit two pork butts, which did turn out great.. They sure are pretty damn good at holding the heat.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
This thread is useless without pics, so here's some I found on my phone:

The first one of a cut in half butt was my first attempt from last spring. The whole one was what I did for the Super Bowl last month.

The ribs were as they went on; those were my first ones, too.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
For Christmas I took a pre-cooked spiral cut ham, basted it with a home-made honey/brown sugar glaze and resmoked it for a few hours.

Then what I grilled:

Rack of lamb and a ribeye (1 3/4" thick).

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
For Christmas I took a pre-cooked spiral cut ham, basted it with a home-made honey/brown sugar glaze and resmoked it for a few hours.

Then what I grilled:

Rack of lamb and a ribeye (1 3/4" thick).

Big fan of smoking a pre-cooked ham. Just coat it with honey dijon mustard, sprinkle brown sugar and some dry rub and smoke for about 3 hrs. I do spritz it w either apple or pineapple juice a few times as well.

Love smoking ribs. Stick with pork ribs but tried the beef ones the other day; did not really like those.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Bringing an old thread back.

Here's a great series on BBQ'ing from Aaron Franklin (of Franklin of Austin, TX fame). Good info. I am down with the "just S&P" for seasoning to let the meat shine through (I do add a bit of paprika, garlic, onion depending on the meat, cut, etc).

That's the PBS site, but google him for youtube and you'll find more. Great info on the basics.

Reactions: kade