WANTED: Old computers, parts, and software

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Check your closets, attics, garages, and basements. If you've got any old computer stuff laying around, let me know.

Cards, cases, media, full computers, peripherals; whatever.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
How old? As in, are you looking specifically for really old stuff, or do items 6-7 years old interest you?

It depends. I don't mind reading through lists of whatever you have, or looking at pictures. I'm primarily interested in putty colored or earlier, but things of interest were released later.

I just picked up a black Thinkcentre from that era that I'm quite pleased with. I'll be restoring it soon.

Also, any big-box computer games and programs are highly interesting, as are programs and games on floppies; box or not.

ZIP drives, obscure peripherals, floppy drives (can never have enough), anything from Creative Labs, 3D accelerators, and so on. Whatever. If you've got time to tell me what it is, I've got time to give you a quick answer.

That said, it's the putty or earlier stuff that I've constantly got my eye out for.

Cheers,

Kennith

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Around here we have electronics collections. People drop off their old stuff for recycling. They hold the collections at my place of employment and we help unload the vehicles. You wouldn't believe the antiques we see. We usually fill up 1-2 semi trailers full per event. Sounds like your wet dream.
Maybe see if you have a similar collection in your area.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Around here we have electronics collections. People drop off their old stuff for recycling. They hold the collections at my place of employment and we help unload the vehicles. You wouldn't believe the antiques we see. We usually fill up 1-2 semi trailers full per event. Sounds like your wet dream.
Maybe see if you have a similar collection in your area.

We aren't allowed to pick through recycled materials here. People have lost their jobs by allowing others to take things home from public dumps and events.

There are also those who intercept such things before they reach that stage, and they have "agreements". Those agreements are mostly used up. Sometimes these guys are paid to take things away.

Of course, I bend the rules, but you can only bend rules so far before they break.

If your rules are different and you see something really cool, pick it up. I won't leave you stuck with it.

486 or earlier is guaranteed.

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I have a 2GB memory stick with a copy of Stuxnet on it. I'll take $20 for it, $40 if you want the schematics of Iranian enrichment centrifuges to go with it.

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
You should see the piles of old stuff that goes in the recycling bin for the school system. Teachers hoard stuff until it it worthless.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I have a 2GB memory stick with a copy of Stuxnet on it. I'll take $20 for it, $40 if you want the schematics of Iranian enrichment centrifuges to go with it.

I thought that an anonymous friend had "accidentally" damaged most of those centrifuges?

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
How good are you at fixing things? I have a DEC Alpha evaluation motherboard, PC164. It fails to POST and gives 4 beeps, which according to the manual suggests there is a ROM header problem. I tried moving the jumper to the failsafe ROM updater option, but it still just gives the 4 beeps. It's mostly ATX, and I've got a power supply I've already modified to power it up (basically just connecting the green wire to a black wire, because these motherboards don't have "soft" power switches).

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/cpq-alphaserver/technology/chip-docs.html

You're welcome to have it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
How good are you at fixing things? I have a DEC Alpha evaluation motherboard, PC164. It fails to POST and gives 4 beeps, which according to the manual suggests there is a ROM header problem. I tried moving the jumper to the failsafe ROM updater option, but it still just gives the 4 beeps. It's mostly ATX, and I've got a power supply I've already modified to power it up (basically just connecting the green wire to a black wire, because these motherboards don't have "soft" power switches).

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/cpq-alphaserver/technology/chip-docs.html

You're welcome to have it.

It takes me a while because my fine motor skills in my left hand aren't so hot after some nerve damage, but I'm quite capable when it comes to this sort of thing. I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Want this: Like new SBG6782-AC wifi router modem combo. It worked great with Time Warner but we moved and its not compatible with Charter. Here is a link to a review: http://www.cnet.com/products/motorola-sbg6782-ac-surfboard-extreme-cable-modem/

I also have another older wifi router from netgear.

Routers are perhaps the only thing I'm universally not interested in. It's a shame, but they are all over the place.

The best thing to do is recycle them.

Now, really old dial-up modems are a different story. Only those that were either ISA or external, though.

Cheers,

Kennith

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
Kennith,
Still wanting old computers? I have a bunch of stuff, mostly lap tops in my garage and basement my wife has been after me to get ride of for a while. There your for the shipping.