transfer case seal

Trent and his Rover

Jun 25, 2006
Our transfer case large nut located on the back of the lt230 is leaking. Pulled the brake drum off and removed the case holding the shoes. Looks like there might be a seal there that may need replacing. Anyone know about its size, #, ease of replacement? Thanks in advance.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
That's the intermediate shaft. Both ends have an o-ring and are prone to leaking. Either the o-ring fails, or the shaft wears the hole in the casing ovally. Latter can only be fixed with a new casing or sleeving your casing (see Ashcroft transmissions, this would entail a full rebuild..)

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions..../lt230-rebuild-kits/lt230-sleeved-casing.html

I never understood how the hole is prone to wear though... the shaft doesn't spin

I think you can get a new o-ring into the front end without tearing about the box, but I don't think thats the case with the one in the back where the nut is.

I just finished rebuilding my transfer case, and I smeared in some gear oil RTV on both ends to hopefully prevent any leakage... you may want to try that? The shaft doesn't spin, so it couldn't hurt

Trent and his Rover

Jun 25, 2006
Thanks for your info but we may be discussing two different areas. The large bolt found underneath the rear driveshaft interface is where our leak is. Looks like your discussing support bolt for the transfer case intermediate gears.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say that the seal at the transmission spline may also be the same size as the leak area we are experiencing. Rather not guess, hence our request for help. Attached is a pic of our leak. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
I recently replaced that seal and felt washer on mine. No more leaking from it. It's easy to do.

Either replace the output shaft/yoke nut with a new one (it uses a nylon lock) or use thread locker. I found the nut was loose on mine.