and then it will open.
Locks downward no problem

So there seems to be a secondary issue.
Any suggestions?
Ok do I just need to get a new mechanism
Thx in advance Steve

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
Thanks Will, had a feeling that was the case.
Spent a healthy 4 hours on it yesterday hoping
for a resolution. Cleaned and oiled every screw, rod & plate
Etc.

I have a feeling that passengers forcing the lock down when
driving over the last 18 years may have done something to it?

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
I always replace the latch. Maybe its not the most frugal route but for the time it takes to tear that down I would rather spend 90 bux on a latch than to play with "this may work"

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
before you go and get the latch I would see if you can slide the lock actuator on its mounting bolts. If I'm reading this right, your saying the lock actuator isn't moving the latch far enough. You may well need the latch, but the Disco one has the lock actuator seperate from the latch. We used to have to lube the pivot and try to slide the lock actuator one way or the other and tighten it back down.

To lube, fine bar tunning or actuator moving is in my experience not an effective solution, because as this little spring when broken don't forces end positions, you may get things working for some time, but when inclined or with some dust or extreme temperatures, trouble comes again. So if latch button needs to be extracted to get unlock working, => spring trouble, Latch change or if you are an experienced watchmaker or locksmith like me, easily you can do a new spring and replace it.

Regards

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
before you go and get the latch I would see if you can slide the lock actuator on its mounting bolts. If I'm reading this right, your saying the lock actuator isn't moving the latch far enough. You may well need the latch, but the Disco one has the lock actuator seperate from the latch. We used to have to lube the pivot and try to slide the lock actuator one way or the other and tighten it back down.

Thanks for the reply- I did do exactly that, as well as move the one link that could be adjusted
that engages the exterior door handle. The handle opensmuch nicer, but I still need to pull up the
door lock knob that extra little bit, otherwise the knob sinks down slightly and won't open

New latch on its way from Lucky8, as Will and the others said, not worth the frustration for $50

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Thanks for the reply- I did do exactly that, as well as move the one link that could be adjusted
that engages the exterior door handle. The handle opensmuch nicer, but I still need to pull up the
door lock knob that extra little bit, otherwise the knob sinks down slightly and won't open

New latch on its way from Lucky8, as Will and the others said, not worth the frustration for $50

I think sometimes they don't fully unlock and sometimes they unlock but the spring won't keep the latch in the unlocked position. It was worth a shot I guess.

I'll get frustrated for $20.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
if you are an experienced watchmaker or locksmith like me, easily you can do a new spring and replace it.

Lucky you. For those of us with hands the size of dinner plates this project is infuriating. Lots of tiny, confined spaces to reach into requiring contortion.

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
I keep my ?98MY 300TDI since she was new, love it. First lock was difficult to repair, but years passed and to repair the 4 remaining locks as each of them died took less effort, haha!

Regards

Indeed, we become experts from our fondness for the cars