Play in front passenger side wheel + clunk

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Got good amount of play in the 3 to 9 o'clock position (12 to 6 is tight) in my front passenger side. Also have clunking under 30mph over bumps on same side. The lower control arms were replaced little less than 50k ago. I've heard tie rods and sway bar bushings could be culprit. Any thoughts on what it could be? 2008 LR3 w 123k. Thanks

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Wouldn't wheel bearing be loose in the 12 to 6 position? I replaced the driver side wheel bearing and t was giving me grinding noises as well. This doesn't do that just clunks over bumps.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Sounds like you're on the right path. I agree that wheel bearing is unlikely with these symptoms, but not impossible. I'd be checking those control arms. Sure, they've been replaced, but it's not impossible for them to be failing again. Any steering wobble or other steering effects? Tie rods would probably affect this as well. Sway bar bushings won't make the wheel wobble.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Sounds like the inner tie rod end has failed. The outers fail, but not nearly as often. You can buy just the inner or a complete kit with both tie rod ends, boot, grease, and clamps.

50k miles would be pretty normal for the bushings to fail again.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Thanks guys. I do have wheel wobble over bumps as well. Sounds like the tie rod and only $30 is a relief haha

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Don't forget to get a front end alignment after replacing tie rods or you'll be replacing tires sooner than later.