Recommendations for Synthetic Winch Line/Rope?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I have a Superwinch EP9.0 9,000 LB winch mounted to my $afari Gard front bumper. The generic roller fairlead has seen better days and I'm looking to replace it with a hawse fairlead. Was shopping for a steel hawse to use with my stock steel 100' cable but all I could find was Warn pot metal junk...then I figured fuck it, I'll go all in with synthetic line and an aluminum hawse. Also finally going to get a Superwinch neoprene winch cover now that the winch is nice and sun-beaten.

Any recommendations for a good synthetic line? Probably looking at 3/8" X 100' minimum and would prefer a breaking strength of at least 15,000 LBs.

Anyone know anything about the following brand? Hard to tell what is good and what is cheap china crap:

X-BULL SK75 3/8" x 100?Dyneema Synthetic Winch Rope 23,809 Lbs, $92.00

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
For winch rope I'd contact Steve at Southeast Overland - he's a good source for all things rope related.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Master-Pull makes good lines as well.
I had the same winch(actually the Viking version). I?d go with 85? since most of your pulling power comes with less wraps on the drum. Just run an extension or strap for longer pulls.

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
I love my Master-Pull, a guy I trail ride with has line he bought from Quadratec, it has worked great and held up good to abuse. The line from Quadratec was about $200 cheaper than Master-Pull of the same length and size.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Guy telling me to get soft shackles also calls me a pussy....oh, the irony.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I think a lot of people think they NEED one with synthetic, which of course isn't the case. A good, working roller is still better I think.

A buddy of mine just switched from a hawes back to roller farilead with his synthetic rope on his Defender.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Bill Burke has always run rollers with synthetic rope. Just make sure to get a new clean one, no burrs, don't try running one that was used with wire.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I think a lot of people think they NEED one with synthetic, which of course isn't the case. A good, working roller is still better I think.

My roller isn?t in good condition anymore. Even when it was new it wasn?t rolling on a side pull so what?s the point? Hawse is less moving parts, lower profile, lighter, cheap. Plus it?s something different. My cable is getting old too and even though it hasn?t been used much, it?s weathered and I cringe at the though of putting a big load on it....I picture my severed head on the side of the trail. I also want to show my 3 year old how the winch works and I?d feel a lot better using a rope.