Recommendations for Synthetic Winch Line/Rope?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Out here we have a severe lack of trees so length can be crucial to get you to an anchor. Now that I think about it, I better go with 100?

I was glad to have 100' last weekend. I was in a pretty tight spot that I felt I need to winch to avoid going over. To get a straight line pull I needed probably 90' of the winch line. there was a good size clearing after this hill climb. I'm actually going to make the first rope Custom Splice sent me into two extensions. Based on my youtube research, it is pretty easy to splice winch rope.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I've got 80 or 85 ft of 3/8"synthetic on my winch. I also keep a 50ft sythetic extension in my truck, along with a 30ft strap and 30ft kinetic rope. And an 8ft tree strap. As Kenny mentioned, one consideration with 100ft of line is side pulls where it will be bunching up on one side.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I've got 80 or 85 ft of 3/8"synthetic on my winch. I also keep a 50ft sythetic extension in my truck, along with a 30ft strap and 30ft kinetic rope. And an 8ft tree strap. As Kenny mentioned, one consideration with 100ft of line is side pulls where it will be bunching up on one side.

Yeah, that's irritating as hell.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Never heard back from Custom Splice on when their 3/8 would be back in stock so I went ahead and ordered 80' of 7/16, double thick fairlead with the line protector lip on the back, and a couple new 3/4 shackles. Placed my order on the 12th and it was in my hands today. Also recently picked up a neoprene Superwinch cover. Will have to get it all on there this weekend.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
Looks good but they only have blue for the 7/16" rope. :ack:

Their pic might be helpful to others:
CS-ROPE-Sizing-2_1024x1024.jpg

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Yeah, I wanted grey but blue was the only option. Will be covered by the winch cover anyway and only a few inches will show through the fair lead. I got the blue-pin shackles to match and replace my 10-year old shackles hanging up front on my recovery points.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I wanted grey but blue was the only option. Will be covered by the winch cover anyway and only a few inches will show through the fair lead. I got the blue-pin shackles to match and replace my 10-year old shackles hanging up front on my recovery points.

I never leave shackles hooked up on my bumper. They either get stolen or they get seized up with dirt and rain. If I know there is chance I will need to use them I pre-rig my winch and straps, but it all gets put away when Im done.

Same with a Highlift jack. Everyone loves to have theirs mounted outside the vehicle so everyone can see how hardcore they are! BUT the first time they go to use it.. guess what? Its seized up from years of sitting in the weather!

Just something to think about...:victory:

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I was glad to have 100' last weekend. I was in a pretty tight spot that I felt I need to winch to avoid going over. To get a straight line pull I needed probably 90' of the winch line. there was a good size clearing after this hill climb. I'm actually going to make the first rope Custom Splice sent me into two extensions. Based on my youtube research, it is pretty easy to splice winch rope.

Did you go to Dishpan Springs, Jimmy?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I never leave shackles hooked up on my bumper. They either get stolen or they get seized up with dirt and rain....

Ah, young Padawan, do you not think a man of my age and wisdom has already considered this?

LOL, I put a light grease on the threads and crank them down hard so that the pins can't be loosened by hand....and I have an old odd Philips head screwdriver permanently living in the back of my glove box whose sole purpose is to be inserted into the holes in the ends of the pins and provide leverage to back them out. I also check on them every now & then to be sure they aren't seized. Here in AZ we don't have the issues with constant wetness, road salt, everything oxidizing, etc. And my Hi-Lift lives in the corner of my garage.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Ah, young Padawan, do you not think a man of my age and wisdom has already considered this?

LOL, I put a light grease on the threads and crank them down hard so that the pins can't be loosened by hand....and I have an old odd Philips head screwdriver permanently living in the back of my glove box whose sole purpose is to be inserted into the holes in the ends of the pins and provide leverage to back them out. I also check on them every now & then to be sure they aren't seized. Here in AZ we don't have the issues with constant wetness, road salt, everything oxidizing, etc. And my Hi-Lift lives in the corner of my garage.

Haha.. Yep, just throwing it out there for others reading this.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I never leave shackles hooked up on my bumper. They either get stolen or they get seized up with dirt and rain.

I've always left my shackles on my truck and have only lived in cities. I've never had one stolen. I also would usually only wash my truck a couple times a year living in NYC where there was plenty of salt on the road. I've never had one that I couldn't easily loosen by hand. I have provided photo evidence of the salt levels which also includes the shackle that was in my trucks receiver when I bought it.

Did you go to Dishpan Springs, Jimmy?

This was near Lake Isabella. I know we went on Black Gulch trail, but I'm not sure if that's where this pic was from. There are ton of trails like this in that area.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Well then you have gotten lucky, because I have personally seen 3 different vehicles all have their bow shackles stuck on. We ended up putting a soft shackle around the bow shackle. And personally have seen 2 high lift jacks that were kept on a roof rack with no cover not work when they needed it.

The reason you havent had any stolen is because no one in the city knows what that is anyway.. Not the case down here in the South

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I never saw the purpose of leaving them on. Just toss in the kit in the back. Too many posers and douche canoes with their unused Hi Lift mounted, LED bar, Yeti decal, RTT and of course those pretty bow shackles dangling down. And I've seen many that end up getting attached "permanently". It's not always the corrosion that locks the pin in, but in our case the recovery - the slightest movement/pressure on the pin in the shackle and it's tough to get out. Why you never screw/shoulder the pin and then do your recovery.