2nd fuel pump in 45 days

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
I replaced the fuel pump on my 04 Disco at the beginning of September. That pump failed me yesterday. Is there something I should be looking for that would cause the pump to fail so quickly? I'm a little more than frustrated that it happened again so soon.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Not sure how the two models compare in this regard but I had a similar issue in my D1: multiple fuel pump failures in a short period of time. Turned out the wiring harness to the pump was faulty. Replacement part was inexpensive, the job took under an hour, and the problem hasn't returned in over a year.

wrldky

Apr 21, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I had an aftermarket pump fail really fast like that. I wouldn't put the same pump in it. Sometimes you are unlucky sometimes the product is just crap.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Tillery often has good quality genuine pumps cheap, I've bought some from him. Still, you shouldn't be chewing through them.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Quick question...

Issue on Tuesday: Truck started and then died immediately when I put it into reverse. Then it would crank but no start. No sound at all from the fuel pump (yes, I stripped everything back and had the pump exposed)

Just for shits and giggles, I tried again after work last night. Fired up immediately. I was able to get it home. But there were two occasions that it sputtered on the way (fuel pump cutting out momentarily).

So is it a bad pump or do I have bigger issues?

It's a 2004 D2

Thanks!!!

the deputy

Sep 20, 2017
michigan
If you didn't have power to the pump, I'd start checking harness, fuses and relays. Or, possibly, it could be the crank sensor...if you do not have spark also. If you have power at pump while cranking, probably the pump.

Brian.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
You could jump the fuel pump relay to see if the problem goes away then you'd know if you have other problems.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
So interesting stuff...

Replaced the pump and it's WAY quieter than the original replacement. I almost can't hear it running even with the carpet removed.

But now I've uncovered another potential problem. Pulled codes (they're always on because of bad O2 sensors). Found I also had P0335 and P0336 (both crank issue codes). Not sure how that plays into the no start issue. My previous experience with a bad CPS is that there are no codes and it usually craps out when the engine is hot,