Windshield Problem!!

Figman

Sep 10, 2004
Westchester County, NY
Hello all:

I need some advice; three times before my original warrant expired I when to the dealer and told them about this horrible tapping noise on or around the dashboard whenever my truck was full with gas or heavier on the back. Every time, they said they could not replicate the sound. Perhaps, it could be my windshield hitting the plastic panels in the lower section of the dashboard!!

For the last 10 days it has been raining here and New York; about three days ago, a noticed a squeaky noise in the middle of the left section of the windshield. A day later I filled up the tank headed home; as soon as I hit the first bump on the street, the whole windshield shook. It looks like the entire front glass got separated from the body of the truck. Since I was using the wipers I did not notice but yesterday while I was driving whenever I hit a bump both wiper arms shake as well probably because the glass is loose. It is very scary to see the windshield shake, it you push it with your fingers from the inside it make a crackling noise. A short drive on the highway let me noticed that wind noise is coming in from the borders of the glass.

What should I do? I bought the extended warranty on the truck before my original expired. I don't know if this is covered. I know about the rattles and leaks not covered on the extended warranty but this is not a small thing. Should I take to land rover or should I look for a good glass shop. Can I just replace the gasket and remount the windshield or don't tell me it is a Land Rover and the whole thing needs to be replaced. I am a bit nervous on this entire situation; I need to fix it before starts raining again.

Again friends, honest suggestions, I know the windshield replacement is not cheap. I need to know my options for tomorrow.

Thanks

Figman
'01 SE7 SLS & ACE

clayatem

Oct 21, 2004
Katy Tx
It most like has been replaced befor. Look at the right side of the glass to see
it has:
Land Rover
Pilkington

That's OEM glass.
If you can push it with your hand. You have a glue problem.
Not a do it yourself job. Take it to the dealer or a glass shop.
If dealer wants to charge you to fix call a glass shop for there
cost to reglue. Make sure they use U418HV ESX QUICK CURE URETHANE.
You need to get it fix ASAP.

HLRC's Glass Man

Figman

Sep 10, 2004
Westchester County, NY
Clayatem:

I dropped it of at the dealer; they said it is very unsual for a windshield to separate like that. I don't know if they are going to charge me or not but they said they will try to put it on on the extended warranty.

Thanks for your comments.

Figman

P

parthog

FYI: it is a safety issue, the windshield and its securing is required to stay in place in a frontal collision, it sounds like yours won't.

- Jeff Miller

Figman

Sep 10, 2004
Westchester County, NY
Hello friends;

Thanks for your comments; a little later than usual but I wanted to get back to you.

The dealer took take of this windshield problem the following Monday, they said it was very unsual that it separated like that. By the end of the day I was ready to go.

They guys at LR Larchmont did a great job; two thumbs up.

Thanks again

Figman