06 lr3 trouble codes

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
To take what jymmie said even further. If you repair the reason you have a lean fault and then just clear fault codes. The light will come back on right away.

Good example: someone forgets to push the dipstick all the way in after filling with oil. It's a throwback from working on the old pushrod engines I suppose. The way they just wont take oil at large volume if the dipstick isn't out of the tube to let air rush out the tube when the oil goes in. Well if the tube is left up on those engines the light will come on when you test drive it for lean faults. At that point you have to reset adaptions to get the light to stay off.

Also would add that you more than likely have restricted injectors causing your lean faults. The cheap fix is add 44K to the fuel tank for the next couple fills. The fast fix is flush the shit out of them. I sometimes do it several times and retest the fuel trim adaptions each time. You can watch the fuel trim come closer into spec between each flushing. The best fuel injector cleaner I've used is a General Motors product called Top Engine Cleaner. You can buy the stuff in little 2 or 4 oz bottles and mix it with a canister of gas in a fuel injector cleaner canister.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I cleaned my throttle body a month or so ago. It made a world of difference in idle quality and throttle response. Before I cleaned it, it would surge in park and the would kind of lunge when taking off from a stop. That's all better now.

Today I ran a can of BG 210 and then dumped some BG44K in the tank. Throttle response is even better. (or so I think... it could be placebo I guess). I did reset the trip computer and on my test drive I was getting 22MPG. (I expect that to go down with some stop and go on the way to work tomorrow).

The MAF on these is the same as a bunch of Toyotas.

Crazy as it sounds, cleaning the throttle real good fixes a lot of those MAF codes on these trucks.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
From what helpline told me many years ago, a bad mass air flow meter will not set the P0101 Mass Air Flow sensor fault. A dirty throttle body will.

I'm actually amazed guess line gave you good information. Probably from the old days with Arlo and Scott Tucker.I avoid them like it's my job to avoid them.