D2 spindle nut alternative

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I'm in the process of replacing the ball joints (hate that job), drag link & tie rod and the hub assemblies on the front axle of my '02 D2. I didn't want to reuse the spindle nuts but thought I might have to with a time crunch for Uwharrie. I couldn't find a stocked D2 nut in the local auto parts stores. A quick measurement indicated the nut to be 24mm with a 1.5 pitch. When I webbed that size nut I got back a '92-'99 Honda Accord. Sure enough, the Honda front CV axles use the identical nut. The Dorman part number is 05121 and cost about $5 each. My local auto parts had those listed for Honda but not our beloved LR.

Last edited:

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
sweet! i love finding cross references like this. A couple of weeks ago I was welding and arced on my stainless steel extended brake lines and caused a leak. I had to find something locally. Well...a 1999 era Toyota Tacoma front brake line fits perfectly in the rear of the D2 and is actually about 4" longer than my extended lines! 15 bucks!

sweet! i love finding cross references like this. A couple of weeks ago I was welding and arced on my stainless steel extended brake lines and caused a leak. I had to find something locally. Well...a 1999 era Toyota Tacoma front brake line fits perfectly in the rear of the D2 and is actually about 4" longer than my extended lines! 15 bucks!

Mass production baby!

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
The O.D. is the same but the socket size is larger. I guess it would provide more clamping force. That said, if it failed you've got much bigger problems.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
I used these on my LR3. The only downfall was the 36mm socket wouldn't fit through the hole in the wheel, so I couldn't use the tire on the ground to help keep things from moving while I torqued the nut. I ended up just sticking an Allen key through the caliper bracket into the brake rotor venting.