What is FWC?

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I keep seeing that looking around at vehicles that commonly end up on overland-type forums, but nobody ever explains it.

Damn people can't be bothered to type a word, then they bitch about searching when forums commonly cut out short shit like that. I'm not a member of those communities, and I'm not joining, either.

I wish people weren't so damned lazy about words.

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I'll hazard a guess - forward control? A 101 forward control would be a good overland vehicle if you have a lot of stuff to carry and a lot of time to make a journey at low speed. A friend of mine in South Africa has a converted 101 ambulance that is a camper with 300TDI. Pretty sweet setup, except that his wife wants to turn it into a taco truck.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
For Winter Camping will earn someone a thorough brow-beating if they speak in such a manner "IRL" when I'm around. If you've got an initialism for camping in specific conditions, you'd better be wearing a fucking uniform for a living.

Hell, I'm from NC. I butcher language, but I don't lazily delete words from my vocabulary unless it's something everyone with an ounce of awareness already knows, like FBI or ABS, or simply something that's been spelled out on a forum so much right beside the assembly of letters that it doesn't matter.

It can't be forward control, unless people are converting Tacomas and Land Cruisers to such an arrangement. As interesting as that would be, I don't think that's what's going on.

The sentences usually end up like this: "I think a FWS Tacoma/Land Cruiser/Power Wagon is what I want."

Similar statements might be written thus: "Well, I've got a Dodge with FWS and it's great in those conditions!"

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Here's a link to such a thread:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/am-i-crazy-landcruiser-to-a-powerwagon-with-fwc.125462/

It just so happened I was having a poke around Land Cruiser and Power Wagon stuff, and was distracted by this nonsense.

I was also a little disappointed that Land Cruisers now seem to be fitted with electronic throttles.

Surely they can't mean Fly by Wire Cable? That doesn't really make sense. It seems that whatever it means, people are happy to have it.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I Googled "FWC overland" and got the attached pic. Its a Four Wheel Camper.

Thank you!

That is unnecessary terminology. :banghead:

I did search for that, but all the crap I use to keep Google in line sometimes scrambles results all to hell.

FWC... What the hell. It's a damned motor home. Ten miles to either side and they could probably take a road wherever they're going and get tile floors and mood lighting.

I do like those fancy flatbeds the guys use, though. You can do a lot with those. I was imagining a Power Wagon with one, which is why I was searching for stuff like that. Then, I got into whether or not the new Land Cruiser is what it used to be, and how it compares in certain ways, became frustrated upon learning it had a damned eight speed transmission and electronic throttle, and then decided I needed to know what FWC meant. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
How about a tent and spare gas cans. I see a late model 4 runner parked at the local bike trails, that truck has everything you can buy. I dont really understand why a person would carry all that gear around town. Youd think this dude was going to drive Australia

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
It’s cool to drive around with all your crap attached to your “rig”. Every other carbon copy lifted Jeep here in AZ has a high-lift, shovel, rake, etc. attached. It’s 50/50 on the wether or not these douches have a winch.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
How about a tent and spare gas cans. I see a late model 4 runner parked at the local bike trails, that truck has everything you can buy. I dont really understand why a person would carry all that gear around town. Youd think this dude was going to drive Australia

There is a 4 door JK at my work that has everything you can imagine hanging off of it. Including a roof top tent. That thing doesnt have a speck of dirt anywhere on it. Its pretty obvious this guy just wants to look cool.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Well, they're keeping the market alive, but they're also slowly directing it to dog-shit products; which will kill it entirely.

Everything sucks these days, and the cause comes right down to the average person.

Cheers,

Kennith

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
There is a 4 door JK at my work that has everything you can imagine hanging off of it. Including a roof top tent. That thing doesnt have a speck of dirt anywhere on it. Its pretty obvious this guy just wants to look cool.

One here too in the sand color. Actually saw it in the Target parking lot this morning - RTT, hi-lift and all....

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
If you guys aren't following mallsquatter on instagram, you are missing out.
*Followed
images

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Man, I used to carry less shit into the middle of nowhere than they carry to a fucking trail.

I don't understand those people. More power to them, as it's their money, but they have people thinking you need all that crap to go off pavement. You can take a damn Honda Civic just about anywhere in the world if you know your shit.

Some of the stuff is good, and I wouldn't mind having a roof tent, but I'd use it for hanging out at the beach. The only reason I have a rack is to put a floor on it, which really helps keep the interior cool. When I go places, I take the damned thing off.

Haven't even had a ladder to get to the rack in a decade. When I need to wash it, I just step on a tire, the rear door handle, and up I go.

I used to have one, and I probably still do, but I dropped it off to be re-coated and the guy never got around to doing it. It's probably still hanging in his barn; right beside one of my Y pipes and a set of 18" wheels I was going to two-tone and sell. :rofl:

Come to think of it, I should go down there and motivate him a bit... I'm patient, but ten years is a little too long.

Cheers,

Kennith

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Talk about minimalistic stuff, My Mercedes Is Not For Sale book is pretty decent. Iirc, dude bought a 190 and drove it through Africa to sell it. Good read.