2020 Defender

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
https://www.planbsupply.com/military-6x6-disaster-bugout-trucks

Piss on that wanabee defender it doesnt deserve the oval it looks like a 4door kia soul go with the other poser truck at least it could serve a purpose in a russian zombie attack

If I felt a need for something "armored", I think I'd just snag an armored late model Suburban for like $25K. We use them at work regularly and run the hell out of them high speed on the racetracks. They hold up quite well. Cheap/easy to fix, maintain and upgrade too.

But when Toyota has Ivan Stewart driving up some rock trail towing a BBQ trailer as their spokesperson and Land Rover has a few bi-curious fellas towing a glider - well, it's all you need to know about the direction of a company.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
How is an individual supposed to even change a tire?

He's not. :rofl:

It can be done, but accomplishing it is irrelevant.

There's more to changing a tire, or even just swapping a wheel out, than simply getting it done.

Those vehicles are very, very poor choices for such purposes.

Cheers,

Kennith

PhD_Polymath

Feb 6, 2015
Slightly west of Boston
How is an individual supposed to even change a tire?

I guess you use your uber-tactical machine gun to shoot off the old one, then MacGyver a new one on the rim before the zombies eat the flesh from your miserable bones. Have bro Bubba cover with firepower while performing the deed and deploy a safety perimeter to be sure. Oh, and make sure to wear some patriotic shit, like a shirt denoting your militia everywhere you go as a preventative measure against flat tires in the first place, because that would make as much sense as owning the thing in the first place.

That said, if you go for it, be sure to get the best Ozark Trail tent WalMart has to plop on top when getting beauty shots for "the 'gram."

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I guess you use your uber-tactical machine gun to shoot off the old one, then MacGyver a new one on the rim before the zombies eat the flesh from your miserable bones. Have bro Bubba cover with firepower while performing the deed and deploy a safety perimeter to be sure. Oh, and make sure to wear some patriotic shit, like a shirt denoting your militia everywhere you go as a preventative measure against flat tires in the first place, because that would make as much sense as owning the thing in the first place.

That said, if you go for it, be sure to get the best Ozark Trail tent WalMart has to plop on top when getting beauty shots for "the 'gram."

Do I detect some anti-redneck sentiment in that first paragraph or am I reading that wrong?
Great use of punctuation on the last two words by the way, most people get that wrong.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
Do I detect some anti-redneck sentiment in that first paragraph or am I reading that wrong?
Great use of punctuation on the last two words by the way, most people get that wrong.

I think it's anti-those-kinda-people.

If rednecks represent the bulk of that, such is life :D

And yes, it's sad, apostrophes aren't that difficult.

PhD_Polymath

Feb 6, 2015
Slightly west of Boston

No, there is no anti-redneck sentiment intended with my post. I can see how "Bubba" might trigger that connotation, though I am referring to the goofball tactical mall ninjas that buy gaudy stuff like that.

Thanks.

Reactions: cositsworthit

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Had an old neighbor named Bubba. Cops seemed to find his name entertaining, as they unfortunately frequented his residence. Yeah Bubba, maybe that can of acetylene on your bonfire was a bad idea, or beating that jail bait, and so on..

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina

That's interesting. I don't know with certainty what those radiators are, but it's a bit of a silly place for them. I hope it has great air conditioning if that's what one of them is for.

I'm not liking the wheelbase, though. Between 90 and 100 is twitchy territory, depending upon track. Hopefully they manage to keep it smooth as they have in the past.

One question is what regulations they're having to endure. There are a lot of rules for new vehicles; rules Jeep seems to be able to skate right by, and trucks don't have to obey. Land Rover has a rough time ahead of them with this thing, and it's obvious they didn't really know what to do with it.

I think it'll probably look okay, and of course it'll be good off-pavement, but that's not all there is to a Defender.

The fucked up part is that, while it's not in competition with the new Gladiator... It's actually in competition with the new Gladiator. Jeep just got new again, and the shine has rubbed off Land Rover's new line. They're still nice, but they aren't novel anymore.

Are they even luxurious when parked next to a new Navigator which, if I'm not mistaken, can be lifted and dumped on big meats as quickly as an Expedition? That's a question I don't want to have to answer...

It's been too long. Nothing they produce will have been worth the wait, at this point. That's their biggest problem.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Hopefully they manage to keep it smooth as they have in the past.

Having owned a 110 in Brasil, smooth wouldn?t be an adjective I?d use to describe the ride.

Stable yes, smooth not so much.

And probably not replicated in this version which may or may not be a good thing.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Nothing they produce will have been worth the wait, at this point. That's their biggest problem.

That's your opinion. I think it's still too soon to say. We won't know until the wraps come off. Even then it will be too soon. When the drooling automotive press gets its hands on it at a launch event it will still be too soon. A more realistic timeframe for drawing conclusions is probably 2 years after the Defender hits the showroom. Give owners a chance to develop their own experiences, let the quirks and flaws reveal themselves, let the strengths shine. How does it work in real life? I'm withholding judgment. There is still a chance that Land Rover did something clever and touched all (or enough of) the bases. Us gawping speculators don't even know what the final version will look like yet.