Front and rear t/case output flanges

leftlanetruckin

Aug 26, 2007
Mid Mo.
Got new cv driveshafts for the '04 DII, and one doesn't fit, which seems to be a mystery to the place that made them.

Looks like the front and rear mounting flanges are different for both pilot hole and bolt pattern. Is there an adapter I'm missing out on? My driveline guy is kinda stumped.

Granted it's the first time I've ran into front and rear transfer case flanges being a totally different bolt pattern and pilot hole, but what do I know. He's having a hard time locating what I need by the sound of it. I have a temp rear driveshaft for now that I made from the old front one. The front flange at the axle is the same as the rear output on the transfer case thankfully.

Anyone ran into that before?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Which one doesn't fit and who is making the driveshafts? If the shop is used to making D1 driveshafts, that could be the issue. The front flange on a DII transfer case is different than a D1.

leftlanetruckin

Aug 26, 2007
Mid Mo.
The front one fits fine, it's the rear that doesn's. Sorry I thought I put that in my initial post, now I see I didn't.

He made both shafts the same for the transfer case mounting, which doesn't work as the rear output is smaller than the front.
So is the rear the same as a DI? I have a P38 case here, which is a different make etc, but it is the same as the rear of the DII case as far as the driveshaft mount goes.

Tatton Driveline did them for me. I have had driveshafts made there quite a few times, zero issues until now.

leftlanetruckin

Aug 26, 2007
Mid Mo.
Looks like it's sorted after he called Tom Woods, who knew what the problem was.
My guy made both driveshafts with the same transfer case mount, so either the front or rear wasn't going to work.... Not sure why LR decided to make one larger than the other, but given up figuring some of their "logic" out over the years lol

Thanks

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Looks like it's sorted after he called Tom Woods, who knew what the problem was.
My guy made both driveshafts with the same transfer case mount, so either the front or rear wasn't going to work.... Not sure why LR decided to make one larger than the other, but given up figuring some of their "logic" out over the years lol

Thanks
How did Tom woods fix the issue?

FWIW I had a front Tatton shaft that ended up grenading on me. The centerball seized up and blew out the DC.

Went with a TW shaft and so far been happy

The one on the left is the TW. Tatton on the right.
18664179_1559722937371344_2207759166889609424_n.jpg