Hot Dawg!

Pillowtrack said:

I guess some engineer could explain that. [/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

That was what I was trying to do!

If I felt so inclined, I'd go out and take a picture of the tank beside the gas station down the road where I get my barbecue tank filled, or the tank at the gas distributor, or better yet, the HUGE tanks I used to manage at Phelps Dodge Magnet Wire. IIRC, I had eight tanks of 50,000 pounds of propane (when I worked for Indiana Michigan Power, I has a four million gallon diesel tank farm I was personally responsible for responding to spills from).

Propane is no more dangerous than the gas we put in our trucks.

dave_lucas

Apr 19, 2004
Golden Colorado
We have a 500 gallon tank that we run our house off, it is about 50 ft from the house and above ground.

I have a 100 gallon tank that runs the shop heater and it sits outside against the building.

And I am still alive to tell my internet friends about it :D

Last edited:

Pillowtrack

Oct 27, 2008
Well, went out and checked,

Apparently tanks here are filled with a mixture of Butane and Propane.

May be this explains something....

(Did not take a photo of the buried tank... :) )

OK, that may make a difference, although, even natural gas is a mixture of several types of gas.

On the way to/from my in-laws, I looked at many Amish houses that are all heated with propane. One of these houses had a 250 gallon horizontal tank on their porch, in a little alcove, visible from a busy street. There were many one-ton tanks visible that looked like they were right next, if not in contact with, several residences.

Pillowtrack

Oct 27, 2008
Now, out of pure curiosity?

Had a chat with the gas company and it goes like this: Propane is usually preferred over Butane for its freezing temperature and operating pressure yet it is much more expensive. They both hold the same explosion hazards in case of leakage, so they both can be stored in the same tanks. It is the sensitivity to violence actions (war, terror) and environment (summer heat conditions) that set the storage regulations.

In any event most tanks are filled with some mixture of Butane and Propane. How you store them is depended on the country/state.

Another mystery revealed J

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
:banghead:

I ran out of gas after only 3 weeks. I also had the temp turned to 65 instead of 75. I was pretty pissed until I found the gas leak outside. Then I was really pissed. Apparently when I switched from the grill tank back to the big tank the last time I got a leak. It is a very small leak in the fittings because the tape dope backed up on itself. I water checked everything on initial hookup but I did not check again when I switched tanks.

Looks like it's back to square one on testing.:banghead:

ROVERT

Feb 22, 2008
Tape dope? Regular teflon tape is a no no for gas lines. I think there is a yellow one that is suitable for gas.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
MUSKYMAN said:
you could get one of these

http://www.davis.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=1010421

I will be needing one at some point to use when setting up a propane buggy coming up here soon:D

Damn! That thing is cool but it is also pretty spendy. All of the fittings will be water tested from now on. I have learned my lesson.

I have been wanting to do a buggy build with a Samurai and some propane. I think I've been reading too much Pirate.:D

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
ROVERT said:
Tape dope? Regular teflon tape is a no no for gas lines. I think there is a yellow one that is suitable for gas.

You are correct. I have the yellow but I don't know what else to call it.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
nelgyarg said:
Propane is 110 octane...anyone out there running a Rover on it yet?

there was a guy from OZ selling propane conversion kits here a number of years ago.

and there is a rover engine based buggy under way right now that will be running propane as well.

to run it well you need to crank the compression up to fully burn all the fuel so its not like its a bolt on and go option.

Roving Beetle

My '61 International heavy truck had a dual fuel set-up - I removed it only because it had some issues from age. It worked great though, throw a switch and she went from gasoline to LPG with not even a cough ** only it would just die with no warning after anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes or so from a couple bad seals or something.... I threw a brand new Edlebrock (sp??) carb on her and never looked back.

It does burn nice and clean and for what it's worth the truck felt more responsive to the throttle. About the same power overall.

Doug.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Well I finally got my 120 gallon propane tank. The gas was $1.89 a gallon and I have to pay a $50.00 yearly lease on the tank. I used 7 100lb tanks last year at $70.00 or so per tank so I should pay about half as much this year and I won't have to fill the damn thing up every month.:banghead:

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
http://www.germanautosalvage.com/images/oilheater.JPG

Reznor waist oil heater. We had this puppy installed about 6 years ago and has never missed a beat. Plus now all my buddies bring me there old oil instead of giving it to an auto parts store.

Burns about the same as a standard oil furnace and it can handle all oil including tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, old brake fluid, gear oil etc....

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
JohnB said:
http://www.germanautosalvage.com/images/oilheater.JPG

Reznor waist oil heater. We had this puppy installed about 6 years ago and has never missed a beat. Plus now all my buddies bring me there old oil instead of giving it to an auto parts store.

Burns about the same as a standard oil furnace and it can handle all oil including tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, old brake fluid, gear oil etc....

I checked into those waste oil heaters. They are cool but there is no way I could generate enough waste oil to keep it running.

They are USED oil heaters! Waste oil is contaminated and a hazardous waste. USED oil is non-haz, non-DOT regulated.

I'm still burning diesel fuel in my salamander. Until propane falls to less than 40% the cost of diesel, it's cheaper and more efficient to burn diesel. I need two more drums and I can buy untaxed diesel fuel for about $1.70/gallon-(WITH free delivery!) and then, heat's cheap.

Lovin' Indian Summer!

PT

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Hey PT do you make enough "Used Oil" to run one of the heaters. I would think that being a shop you might produce enough. That being said my local quick change oil place heats with propane.

$1.89 a gallon for the propane is getting pretty close to the price your after but the cost of a new heater would make it an unwise upgrade with the uncertain market prices.

How are you on Amish sawmills? Your shop is big enough to heat with wood. The Amish around here give away the end cuts. Some of them will deliver a semi full of wood for $150.00.