Front End Steering Impairment

Aug 10, 2018
ME
I recently bought a 2003 SE7 on the cheap. Really liking the vehicle despite having to fix many items that required ZERO dollars and just a little outside the box ingenuity and youtube. Here is my next step:

The vehicle was put into a ditch during the last winter storm by the previous owner. The front end was never fixed correctly and the vehicle was "aligned" to the bent position. The rack looks salvageable however I would probably like to replace the rest of the moving parts. Can someone tell me exactly what I would need to order to achieve this? I have seen several kits however I cannot tell if I need all of the items or would be better off piecemealing just the needed parts. I would think the first two items I would need are steering arm and tie rods but while in Rome, I might as well get er done. As of right now she drives straight but the turning radius is severely limited (25 to 30 degrees past center is all Im able to turn lock to lock)

All suggestions welcome

Thanks. Chris (youtube mechanic)

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
If you're going to attempt repairs to your steering components by yourself you may achieve better results by taking an active interest in understanding the mechanical systems involved.

But the door said "Beware of the Leopard"...

Cheers,

Kennith

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Put the front end on jack stands, start it up in park and have someone run the steering wheel lock to lock to see what is binding. If it is as bad as you say, probably not safe to drive.

"I tried to miss that truck, but my steering was binding and I could not get out of the way"
Loose the apathy or get another vehicle.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Is that a Douglas Adams reference? Planning department notices accessible to the public in the file cabinet in the basement lavatory?

Indeed it is.

The "taking an interest" part in your post just reminded me of humanity receiving that amusing lecture.

Couldn't help myself. :D

Cheers,

Kennith

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
what does "aligned" to the bent position mean? your steering wheel is not aligned?

I'm sure he means that the truck was adjusted to make the steering wheel straight while it's still really bent to shit. I'm sure also he meant that his steering box seems ok. Lets get him up to speed. There isn't really anything else to do since the political shit ran off half the cool kids.

Your going to have to figure out whats bent. If you look closely at the pitman arm in the area that it mounts to the steering box(google is your friend). At the end that attaches to the splines on the box, there is a small notch that would align with a small hole on the box. Get under there and looking up from the ground hopefully you will find it. Line up those two areas to the point that it looks like you could put a bolt thru the arm and into the box. That should be steering straight ahead and at that point it should be easier to see what steering component is bent.

Keep in mind when they get stuffed really good like you say your truck did the pitman shaft in the box could be twisted.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Here is a link to the part for sale on Atlantic British.

This is what the steering box looks like:

STC8684ABP.jpg

If the price is more than you want to pay, the good news is that there are several vendors who frequent this site that would be happy to sell you a quality used part for less money. Start with Will Tillery, Drillbit, and Paul Grant.

Here is a link to RAVE, which is the Land Rover technical manual. Download it. Open it. Search it. Read it. This will give you a wealth of information about how your steering system works, how to take it apart, and how to put it back together. Invest some time in studying this resource. You will gain much more from a basic understanding of the RAVE schematics and procedures than you will from asking "what do you call the steering box?". Once you know what the parts are called, how they fit together, and how they interact, you'll be able to ask much more valuable questions that will get you to a solution faster.

Folks here are always happy to help, but you will also find that the quality of the help improves as you take a more proactive role in educating yourself about your mechanical issues.

Aug 10, 2018
ME
OK so here's the update. The drop arm looks like its bent and took a significant blow into the frame. This is what is causing the bind in the steering from lock to lock. The box is leaking from the lower seal but in working order. For the price difference, I think my only option is to buy a new arm in hopes that the splines are not damages and a rebuild kit for the box. Thoughts? While under the vehicle I will be replacing the drag link and trackbar. The upper and lower ball joints at the hub seem ok so ill wait on them if possible. Thanks for the links!!