Car wash filter

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Never used an in-line unit, as when detailing the more expensive paint jobs I typically poured distilled water over the vehicle before drying. I have filtered water before use though, when shit gets unreasonably perfect; simply using a camp filter and... Too much patience, probably.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass every time.

Those are bound to cut some of that shit out. Honestly they just look like normal under sink units with garden hose fittings. If that's pretty much what they are, that means they'll likely work. They generally perform as advertised. Never seen one that didn't.

Good on you for filtering the water. It makes a big difference in both ease and quality.

Cheers,

Kennith

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Never used an in-line unit, as when detailing the more expensive paint jobs I typically poured distilled water over the vehicle before drying. I have filtered water before use though, when shit gets unreasonably perfect; simply using a camp filter and... Too much patience, probably.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass every time.

Those are bound to cut some of that shit out. Honestly they just look like normal under sink units with garden hose fittings. If that's pretty much what they are, that means they'll likely work. They generally perform as advertised. Never seen one that didn't.

Good on you for filtering the water. It makes a big difference in both ease and quality.

Cheers,

Kennith

Thanks for the reply. Will probably try one of these above and post up on how it works.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
That's overkill for washing your car.

The Clear Inline Hose Filter Canister has two cartridge options:
Water Softener Filter Cartridge (not included) – This cartridge neutralizes calcium and magnesium in the water, thereby eliminating hard water. Your car shampoo will lather better and your vehicle will be free of those nasty water spots. This cartridge can be renewed and reused indefinitely.

A water softener works by replacing the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. Sodium ions are “soft”. They don’t produce scale and they don’t stain. They change the actual texture of the water, making it feel “slippery”. This causes water to sheet off the vehicle more effectively. Water that remains on the vehicle will not leave spots.

Sediment Filter Cartridge (not included) – This cartridge is made of 25 micron spun poly. It traps fine sediment as the water passes through so that nothing hits your vehicle but pure water. If you don’t have a hard water problem, this cartridge is all you need.

They are overselling the water softener aspect. If you really do have hard water, your house will already have a water softener unit. As to changing the "texture" of the water, that a bit of bullshit marketing; same with "foaming" - foaming has no impact on the efficacy of soap (see: Washing machines and dishwashers). It's just a hand feel thing (aka, marketing). And, if you dry your car (chamois) by hand vs just letting the water evaporate, you're not going to have water spot issues.

Filtering sediment? Again, if your house water has this problem, you have bigger problems than what you are washing your car with (like your dishwasher, shower heads will all clog up, not to mention water lines collecting sediment). Oh, and don't forget the dirt that is ALREADY on the car. That doesn't magically disappear...until you wash it.

If you really must, then do what Kennith says, go to the grocery store, buy 10 gallons of distilled water and wash your car with that.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Called one of the companies re their filter; they were honest and said it didnt work all that great. The house we are in now doesnt have a water softener and i am not bothering installing one since we are renting it for not too much longer. Those Mr Clean kits worked great in the past but like i said before it seems like now they are hard to find and cost 3-4 times what they used to.

No issues with the sediment here, just the harder water issue. The reverse osmosis susten at a place i do own in VA works great in that regard.

I'd have to disagree on the overkill aspect if an $80 or so unit truly worked. There are way more expensive systems, from several hundred to way over a grand; that would be overkill.