Replacement Radiator

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
So last year I replaced the radiator that came with my Discovery (which was aftermarket) with this: https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/19-01431_AN

Because every night when it froze it would leak. Never leaks in summer. Never leaks in Autumn. Leaks in winter. Pulled it and took it to a shop to pressure test it. No leaks. Put it back in, freezes at night. Drip drip drip. Somewhere from the two side caps.

So does anyone know of a good radiator that doesn't leak and doesn't cost $1000?

This one fit perfect btw. Just fucking leaks.

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
Last year I installed a new one. The radiator I picked up on EBAY from seller: Monte-Rovers $180 plus shipping, I chose this one because it didn't have a drain plug in the radiator like most. The way I see it the drain plug is just one more break in the system to possibly leak, especially if it is ever opened. FWIW my radiator is still holding fine, now I'm in the deep south and we don't see too many hard freezes. Hopes this helps

2002 DII

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
I am not a fan of the Plastic Tanks. Guys can chime in and say they are the best thing since Sliced Bread like a Yelp Review but the truth is I have seen 20 year old Radiators (genuine) that still look better.

The sad reality is if you do find a used one it's at least 19 years old so it's hard to justify installing it..... Which leads to having an older one redone.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I am not a fan of the Plastic Tanks. Guys can chime in and say they are the best thing since Sliced Bread like a Yelp Review but the truth is I have seen 20 year old Radiators (genuine) that still look better.

The sad reality is if you do find a used one it's 19 years old so it's hard to justify installing it..... Which leads to having an older one redone.

Yeah this is the second plastic tanked one in here and I won't ever be installing another one.

I'm eyeing those all aluminum ones on fleabay (unless you've got something good for me).

logan_gibson

Dec 20, 2016
Alabama
Picked up a used one from Pull-A-Part, had it re-done at a local shop for $100.
Works great, no leaks in the summer/fall/winter (lowest it has gotten was around 25/18 for a week. )
Didn't wanna drop the cash on an aluminum one, and don't care for plastic tanks.

Runs at 168ish in late summer with a HD Fan and new water pump.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I'm eyeing those all aluminum ones on fleabay

I ordered one of those last year. It was about $300 or $330, shipped from Australia. Looked great when I took it out of the packaging, but I had to send it back because the fitments were the wrong size despite being advertised as compatible with the D1. Bit of a PITA.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Just curious, was it the wrong size or wrong thread? I looked at one of those but I remember reading something in the description of it having NPT threads and thinking it should be BPT to work but I wasn't sure.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
No one , especially people in colder climates, has replaced a radiator in a D1 with anything other than a stock OEM radiator?

Redid the entire cooling system on my '96 D1 last Summer.

Used a "Proline" rad from Roversnorth.

So far no leaks and stays cool in the Summer with A/C on.

Think it was around $400.00.

Live in the Rockwood, PA area and it gets cold - last week -17 F air temp.

mburnett

Jul 26, 2008
Archbold, Ohio
Don’t you have a local radiator shop? I took my original in and he totally cleaned it inside and out. It looked like new and I have been running it over 5 years now.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Don?t you have a local radiator shop? I took my original in and he totally cleaned it inside and out. It looked like new and I have been running it over 5 years now.

As posted, it?s brand new and was removed once to pressure test. No leaks.

Only leaks when temp is below freezing.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Don?t you have a local radiator shop? I took my original in and he totally cleaned it inside and out. It looked like new and I have been running it over 5 years now.

Radiator shops are a dying breed.

We used to have a good local one. Now, I think the closest one is 30 miles away and I'm not sure what services they provide...

colvere

Sep 3, 2004
Filer, ID
Radiator shops are a dying breed.

I do have a local shop that also builds custom radiators that I will give a shot before I buy one of Wills units. Giving my 99 D1 SD some love over the next few months. I have decided to drive her for a few more years. I can't explain the un rational love I have for that truck.