Maglite is the Worst Flashlight on the Market

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
You're confused. We're talking 10-$80 lights, not Maxabeams or Polarions. Same price range many other common tools fall into, and the same issues of quality vs price apply. Milwaukee > Makita > Dewalt > Ryobi > Hyper Tough. There's nothing new here, except the dumb notion that flashlights aren't like every other tool.

...and Panasonic smacks the shit out of all of them. You're playing this game with half a deck. :rofl:

Milwaukee is better than Makita? I'm fully invested in M18 and I wouldn't make that claim. Ryobi has accidentally created some of the better drills that have been released, and Dewalt still manages to crank out a solid product depending upon what you buy.

Would you suggest my expensive bluetooth or whatever Milwaukee drill/driver is a good purchase for everyone?

I'm not stretching with that, either. That's absolutely the sort of advice you're giving.

Cheers,

Kennith

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I drive an F150 and own a Jeep. Being a soft-top and relatively nimble, it's fun, but it's also built like a tin toy and not as capable as it should be. A Rover is a better tool, when they work. We'll probably sell the Jeep and pick up a UTV. When I have more free time, maybe a Series.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
...and Panasonic smacks the shit out of all of them. You're playing this game with half a deck. :rofl:

Milwaukee is better than Makita? I'm fully invested in M18 and I wouldn't make that claim. Ryobi has accidentally created some of the better drills that have been released, and Dewalt still manages to crank out a solid product depending upon what you buy.

Would you suggest my expensive bluetooth or whatever Milwaukee drill/driver is a good purchase for everyone?

I'm not stretching with that, either. That's absolutely the sort of advice you're giving.

Cheers,

Kennith

Panasonic, Bosch, Hitachi, Porter Cable.. It doesn't matter. Nor does debating the order minutia. Focus. Tool options in a price range correspond to a range of quality. There's no way around it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I drive an F150 and own a Jeep. Being a soft-top and relatively nimble, it's fun, but it's also built like a tin toy and not as capable as it should be. A Rover is a better tool, when they work. We'll probably sell the Jeep and pick up a UTV. When I have more free time, maybe a Series.
That qualifier pretty much eliminates the "better tool" part.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I can't remember the last time I used a flashlight. The problem with flashlights is that you have to hold them, or balance them on something so they cast light where you need it. Then you have only one hand free, you knock over the flashlight, you have to reposition it, etc. When compact LED headlamps came out I never went back.

I keep one in each of my Rovers. I keep one next to my bed. They are compact, lightweight, simple. The light always shines where I'm looking and both hands are free.

If I have to hit something I'm not going to use a flashlight. There are better tools available for those needs. I get that some people like flashlights and are picky about them, but some people also like pocket watches and sporks. They just aren't for me.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
My iphone has a pretty good led flashlight. you know what I like most about it? I always have it.
I don't have an iphone.
But the phone I have IS in a very tactical black case.

Instead of always carrying a phone, or a flashlight, I carry a 1/2" drive, 5/8" impact socket.
It's pretty tactical black, too.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I can't remember the last time I used a flashlight. The problem with flashlights is that you have to hold them, or balance them on something so they cast light where you need it. Then you have only one hand free, you knock over the flashlight, you have to reposition it, etc. When compact LED headlamps came out I never went back.

I keep one in each of my Rovers. I keep one next to my bed. They are compact, lightweight, simple. The light always shines where I'm looking and both hands are free.

If I have to hit something I'm not going to use a flashlight. There are better tools available for those needs. I get that some people like flashlights and are picky about them, but some people also like pocket watches and sporks. They just aren't for me.

The Slyde King has a very powerful magnet on the tail that will absolutely hold it steady in most events.

The nice thing is, you can screw it off if you like. That's convenient for tool boxes and certainly around my vast collection of floppy disks.

Also, sliding it open obviously illuminates a broader area, so positioning isn't as critical. That's generally how I use it until I want to get light through a tight space without blinding myself with close-up reflections.

It's not the only light with a stability solution, but it's a convenient light that just happens to have a removable magnet included. One could probably store something under there if he got creative.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ

LOL...I literally just took off my LED headlamp as I was booting up Dweb. Switched out a standard light switch for a dimmer switch and guess what...it was dark after I cut the power. I fumbled for my hammer but that didn't help. I thought of this flashlight thread and smiled and then went for the headlamp on my workbench.

A few months ago I was camping and realized I forgot my headlamp. I had 3 flashlights with me but the lack of a headlamp nearly ruined the whole trip.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The Slyde King has a very powerful magnet on the tail that will absolutely hold it steady in most events.

Also, sliding it open obviously illuminates a broader area, so positioning isn't as critical.

I don't care. In no way do these features compensate for the fact that it's not a headlamp. You can tell me about a telepathically controlled hover flashlight that levitates itself in mid-air and it's still not going to do it for me. It sounds like you are content with this flashlight and it meets your needs, so congratulations on making a wise choice.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Not sure why it is such a big deal. I have tons of flashlights and none of them are Maglite. I care more about the batteries. 123s used to be the go to, but f those battery prices.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
I don't have an iphone.
But the phone I have IS in a very tactical black case.

Instead of always carrying a phone, or a flashlight, I carry a 1/2" drive, 5/8" impact socket.
It's pretty tactical black, too.

You should have gone with the camo case, but, blacks cool 2. Neon orange is the bees knees as well.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Switched out a standard light switch for a dimmer switch and guess what...it was dark after I cut the power.
See, there's the problem right there.
cut the power?
da fuq?
If you were properly tactical, you'd just do it hot.
Plus, you could impress people by telling them about it while you're having canapes in the back of your Range Rover.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I have a bunch of nitecore p12 that I got for cheap. They seem pretty good to me.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I don't care. In no way do these features compensate for the fact that it's not a headlamp. You can tell me about a telepathically controlled hover flashlight that levitates itself in mid-air and it's still not going to do it for me. It sounds like you are content with this flashlight and it meets your needs, so congratulations on making a wise choice.

Somehow I missed the headlamp part of that post. Obviously it's not going to beat a headlamp in many cases, but there is a time and place for everything, and conventional flashlights aren't irrelevant.

In the picture I posted, you'll see a small headlamp powered by a CR2032. I use that thing all the time. It's supposed to be sort of an ultra-light solution or emergency lamp, but the size and light weight keep it in place without leaving your head bumping across a battery case.

Cheers,

Kennith

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Hence my reference to your "other crap" comment. Sex in a canoe is right.

I much prefer the wines in the Cape - good memories at Boschendal.

Go Proteas!

I don't know when last you were in SA, but there are some really good wines and craft beers on the shelves these days. Estate visits with tastings and lunch are a great way to spend a nice Sunday.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I don't know when last you were in SA, but there are some really good wines and craft beers on the shelves these days. Estate visits with tastings and lunch are a great way to spend a nice Sunday.

May 2015 and again November 2017. The beer situation has improved, I agree, but it's still a macrobrew culture.

Gin and tonics in Tembe Park while waiting for the lions to show up is also not a bad way to go:

15095449_1154794037909401_2296770430537938426_n.jpg

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
In all fairness to Maglite, I have a 3D that lives on the floor next to my bed and in the 15 years I have had it, all I have had to do was replace batteries and once, I replaced the lamp with an LED.
It comes on every time I hit the switch, dim if the flatteries are not great, but it does what it says on the tin.

I have yet to use it to thump someone, came close once, but it has been reliable so far.

Do you also have a functional Optima battery? :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

I went out to my truck and grabbed my 25 yr old maglite. I'm not sure when I last changed the batteries and not sure when I last used it. It's not even strapped down, it rides between the seat and the fire extinguisher.

Turned it on and it works.
44295729315_521f58f1c1_z.jpg

Most of the flashlights around the house are Harbor Freight or HF knock-offs (is that even possible?).

My Blue Top Optima is 8+ years old, bought it used 6 years ago. It lives in my trailer where it's fully charged before a trip. It powers the fridge, camp lighting and usb chargers. Recharged by 200w solar during the day. Sometimes I charge it before storing the trailer. Still kicking.