D2 Transfercase into a D1?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
The D2 transfercase is a better quieter unit than the D1, yes?
What would it take to put a locking D2 TC into a 94 D1? The 94 is a manual trans if it matters.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Found this on another thread. Sounds fairly straightforward...?

"The transfer box should physically bolt up...I just did an LT230 conversion to a Classic Range Rover using a D2 box with no problems. How far from bolting up are they? Has the input gear from the transfer box been out for inspection? It can be put in backwards and that will cause the two units not to come together close enough to bolt up...also, check that there are dowel pins in all the right places and that you don't have two butting together. To fit the D2 box to the Defender you will have to...change the front output flange, block off unneeded sensor holes...they are mostly 14x1.25mm thread size and you can use oil drain plugs that size for the purpose. The rear output housing will have to be swapped as the D2 casting is not machined for the speedo drive. The high/low shift lever is different, too...swap the housing so the linkage will fit. When you bolt the two units together, mind where the bolts go...make sure that the 2 short bolts fit back into the holes they came from...if you mix them up and put the long bolts in the short holes, you will break the gears and lock up the box. The D2 box also utilizes a shift solenoid which your original box did not have and your truck has no way to actuate...take the cover off, pull the solenoid and reseal the now empty cover. The D2 box can be made to fit."

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
just need to change out the rear output housing for one off your truck...really doesn't buy you anything

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I put one into my 96 D1; as Mongo notes you have some changing of housing and such to deal with but it does get you the LT230Q in all likelihood so if you have reason to change out the TC, no reason not to use a Dii so long as you have the D1 box there beside it to facilitate swapping bits over.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I put one into my 96 D1; as Mongo notes you have some changing of housing and such to deal with but it does get you the LT230Q in all likelihood so if you have reason to change out the TC, no reason not to use a Dii so long as you have the D1 box there beside it to facilitate swapping bits over.

Cool. My D1 TC has a fair amount of whine so was thinking about replacing it anyway.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
D2 transfer case fits to D1. No trouble

Regards

I think he's right about this. We could check some part #s against each othe. As I remember it the only real difference between the auto trans and the hand mixer was the output shaft on the trans. It was a 2 piece shaft on the auto gearbox. The standard trans shaft is one piece and always in your way. But I think it's the same length. Compare the splines on the end of the output shaft before you get started.