What will your next vehicle be?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I can't bring myself to purchase a vehicle that is going to greatly depreciate in value after a couple of years. I would love a new Range Rover, but it just seems like throwing money away. Occasionally we can get pretty sweet deals on leases at the dealership, like a 2016 RR diesel with nothing down and $550/month, but I just don't love the idea of a car payment and a lease feels too much like a rental to me.

The next vehicle we buy will probably be a Defender 90 soft top for my wife. She has a 2006 Range Rover, but doesn't like driving it because it is too big. Now that we live in LA, the weather is perfect for a ST D90. I'm also keeping my eye out for a nice D1, but they all seem to be pretty well fucked by their owners. Whatever we get, we'll keep the Range Rover as it is a great highway car and is super reliable.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I tend to buy and sell, but every now and again I get something I really want. It takes me forever to decide, but when I pick it up, I keep it until the wheels fall off. I don't mind depreciation in that respect, because it happens very rarely.

I bought my '01 DII brand new. It's been through hell, but until recently it's been impeccibly maintained. Now it's a restoration process, but it will be done. It may not be worth much, but it's mine, and it always has been.

It'll be functional as long as I'm functional, which was up in the air for a while, there. I don't really consider that a loss... Even though it technically is. :rofl:

What am I going to buy eventually? I'll know it when I drive it. There will be one car that I actually drive that will sell me immediately. I just don't know what it's going to be yet. The Continental has that potential, but I might just restore my '67 Impala.

Only time will tell. Then, in a split second, I'll make my decision. Hell, when I bought the DII I walked in knowing that I didn't want silver, and I didn't want a gray interior. I drove off with a silver vehicle sitting in a gray interior, happy as a pig in shit.

Cheers,

Kennith

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
The Bronco is on the horizon, and that's something. I'm surprised they didn't partner with Land Rover to share a platform with the Defender, actually. It would have been a good fit. Maybe they did...

The new Ranger comes along with it, and the new Raptor. I believe it's reasonable to expect a "Raptor" Bronco, as well; kitted out for trail duty off the rack.

I read an article the other day that stated that the new Bronco will share a platform with the new Ranger. I don't know how true that is though, as I don't think there is much official info out there. Ford seems to be pretty tight lipped about it.

I bought my '01 DII brand new. It's been through hell, but until recently it's been impeccibly maintained. Now it's a restoration process, but it will be done. It may not be worth much, but it's mine, and it always has been.

It'll be functional as long as I'm functional, which was up in the air for a while, there. I don't really consider that a loss... Even though it technically is. :rofl:

That's where I'm at with my 00' DII. Dad bought it new in December 99' and we've been wrenching on it ever since. Took my drivers test in it, drove it when I was in high school and college. Hauled my first born child around in it. I've got almost 19 years of life invested and that frustrating hunk of British engineering. Figure at this point I might as well keep it around. If I could afford it, I'd reframe it with a galvanized frame from Rovers North. I crossed the point of thing making financial sense about a decade ago!

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
If I could afford it, I'd reframe it with a galvanized frame from Rovers North. I crossed the point of thing making financial sense about a decade ago!

THAT caused me to go to the RN website; and yes they sell galvanized chassis for D2's. I'm surprised that there's a market to spend that kind of money on an old rig like that. :eek:

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
THAT caused me to go to the RN website; and yes they sell galvanized chassis for D2's. I'm surprised that there's a market to spend that kind of money on an old rig like that. :eek:

I could be way off, but I think at some point we'll see the value of the DII's start increasing. They are, as far as I can tell, the last of an extinct breed with the sole exception of the Jeep Wrangler. It seems that auto makes have pretty much forgotten about the off road market.

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
I could be way off, but I think at some point we'll see the value of the DII's start increasing. They are, as far as I can tell, the last of an extinct breed with the sole exception of the Jeep Wrangler. It seems that auto makes have pretty much forgotten about the off road market.
Possibly. Compare a DII to the current Discovery options; world of difference.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
How do you figure?
Discos are only getting older, and they weren't all that reliable to begin with.
Now, the newest D2 is what, 13 years old?
Why would I pay more than pocket change for that?

Jeep makes off-road capable vehicles in the current model year.
Toyota makes off-road capable looking vehicles in the current model year.

So you can have actual off-road capable, or looks like off-road capable, or was off-road capable 15 years ago.

I mean, there will almost always be some dumbfuck that pays too much for a car, buying a "lifestyle".
That could either be a douchebag spending more than $100K for a new handbag, or a poseur paying more than $500 for what was, sorta, 15 years ago, a nice truck.

Both of them will drive to the mall.
Both of them are dumbfuck poseurs.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
How do you figure?
Discos are only getting older, and they weren't all that reliable to begin with.
Now, the newest D2 is what, 13 years old?
Why would I pay more than pocket change for that?

Jeep makes off-road capable vehicles in the current model year.
Toyota makes off-road capable looking vehicles in the current model year.

So you can have actual off-road capable, or looks like off-road capable, or was off-road capable 15 years ago.

I mean, there will almost always be some dumbfuck that pays too much for a car, buying a "lifestyle".
That could either be a douchebag spending more than $100K for a new handbag, or a poseur paying more than $500 for what was, sorta, 15 years ago, a nice truck.

Both of them will drive to the mall.
Both of them are dumbfuck poseurs.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but look at Defender prices. They aren't particularly nice and definitely lacking in the comfort department, but command some high prices. Of course I realize that's not quite an apples to apples comparison.

If these trucks are so shitty and only worth a few hundred bucks why are we here?

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Like I said, I could be wrong, but look at Defender prices. They aren't particularly nice and definitely lacking in the comfort department, but command some high prices. Of course I realize that's not quite an apples to apples comparison.

If these trucks are so shitty and only worth a few hundred bucks why are we here?

well, i'm here because i'm a dumbfuck douchebag.

that being said, i do look good driving to the mall.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina

Ever run into the woman at a family reunion showing a diamond ring that's "only" three carats to everyone she meets?

That's every Land Rover owner ever. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Well, I'm definitely a dumbfuck because I keep flushing money down the proverbial toilet of Land Rover ownership. I ,however am not a douchbag and my Disco won't fit in the mall parking garage!:D

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Just bought an Audi A6, now the wife regrets it and wants a LR4. We will see how this works out. I love the A6, even though it has the turbo 4 and not the twin turbo v6. I think i would have already killed myself if it had the v6.

My in laws were just busting my balls about buying expensive European imports. They told me we should buy a Honda or Toyota or something similar. I asked them if they have ever driven an Audi or anything similar and of course the response was "no". I told them i was willing to pay the premium for a nice car that drove well. I haven't driven a ford, Chevy, Toyota (with the exception of a Land Cruiser), Honda, Dodge (horrible cars), or Jeep that inspired me to buy one. They are all cheap transportation that feel cheap.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Moving to western Colorado this year and the wife said I can ditch the gay assed Ridgeline and get something "cool" - and to her "cool" is a mid-1970s Chevy C10 or C20. So I'm fine with that. I'd love another D1 someday but it doesn't haul dirt bikes.

Also will eventually pick up a yard jeep. Yard jeep is something that has no top, waterproof seats. No stereo, and lives outside in the yard almost all the time except for when you feel a hankerin to go up fire roads or onto BLM land.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Also will eventually pick up a yard jeep.
We called it "farm truck".
Which is how we referred to my P38 after the insurance company said it was totaled, and I had it fixed and drove it for another 3 or 4 years.
It was the oldest, highest-mileage vehicle we owned.
And it was a joke. It was never a beater.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Never understood that. I always assumed it was because there were only 14 US-legal ones around.
Because at some point, we ALL paid way more than we should have for a car. :)
And, coincidentally, they all happened to be Land Rovers.

Actually, it's because when they work, they're fucking amazing vehicles.
(I've only had Range Rovers, so I can't speak about any other model)
My Rangies were fucking beautiful.
Elegant to ride in.
Just ab-so-fucking-lutely gorgeous.
On road or off, spectacular.

But a 15-year-old model for $20K?
meh.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
We called it "farm truck".
Which is how we referred to my P38 after the insurance company said it was totaled, and I had it fixed and drove it for another 3 or 4 years.
It was the oldest, highest-mileage vehicle we owned.
And it was a joke. It was never a beater.

Farm truck is different. I definitely want a jeep. :) A crappy old no frills jeep.