dreaded ABS pump overrun....

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Well, after sitting for a week, my ABS pump has decided to run for about a minute on startup, and briefly while braking. I noticed the fluid was below the max mark (which it wasn't last oil change). I didn't notice any new markings on the garage floor or driveway. Am I getting the dreaded pump/accumulator failure, or is it possible there's air in the system?

az_max

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
I had to replace the relay for the ABS pump on my 1995 RRC Clasic earlier this year. It just started running when I turned on the engine and would not stop. If you allow the ABS pump to run continuously, it will burn out.

After replacement of the relay, the ABS pump would stop after about 40 to 45 seconds. The shop manual specifies that the pump is supposed to stop after 45 seconds maximum.

Hope this helps.

Jim Lupinetti

Michael Slade

Oct 11, 2004
SLC, Utah
www.tawayama.com
You need to 're-build' the pump if it runs more than the factory manual says it should. Usually it's *not* a bad accumulator or a bad pump. You just need to take it apart and give it some lovin'.

Actually it's more of a 'cleaning' than a re-build. Very easy, very inexpensive.

I could go on...but a search here or on Pirate will get you what you need.

sven

I've replaced the Accumulator last year and that reduced my pump time by a lot. Of course i also did the full ABS bleed at the same time.. and replaced the rubber lines with SS lines. Made a nice difference. Pump rebuild would be next on my list of shit to do.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
it seems to have stopped for now (with no intervention). I have the relay to replace and am still gonna bleed the system. Is it hard to do with only one person? the rave cd seems to suggest two people, but I might try it with the one person bleeder kit.

Michael Slade

Oct 11, 2004
SLC, Utah
www.tawayama.com
az_max said:
it seems to have stopped for now (with no intervention). I have the relay to replace and am still gonna bleed the system. Is it hard to do with only one person? the rave cd seems to suggest two people, but I might try it with the one person bleeder kit.

A one-armed one-legged man could do it by himself.