swivel ball castor correction service available

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I'm offering castor correction for your swivel balls, new or used. Up to 3.5 degrees of correction with anti-rotation inserts. This will accommodate 2"-3" lifts bringing castor close to .5 degrees of factory. This will aid any lifted vehicle above 3" of lift too. I can machine for more correction but there won't be adequate room for a proper diameter anti-rotation insert beyond 3.5 degrees. Cost per pair is $120 with inserts or $100 without inserts.
thumb.gif

Attachment shows 3.5 degrees correction with opposing anti-rotation inserts. Face milling of flange (shown) will not be done as it is unnecessary.

Attachments

• P2181355 (Small).JPG
    P2181355 (Small).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 68

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Will your fixture work with swivels that have been bored to 1.375" ID for the rovota conversion?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Robert, I'm sure it would work. Assuming the 1.375" hole was the original hole of 1.269", that's only .10" difference. The taper at the bottom of the jig would center the swivel ball. Brass shim stock could be placed between the jig stem and ball hole to make up any clearances. It would be well within tolerances.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Great. I'll need to get the alignment read out but I'll have a few sets going your way soon

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
This will be the next upgrade to my Discovery, I have had the loose steering wheel feel for far to long.
I got a set of the new lock washers and spindle nuts, they have been on the front of the truck for a few months and they have preformed flawlessly over the past few months. I am sure the machining and quality of the work from Mark will be great as normal.

acg

I'm offering castor correction for your swivel balls, new or used. Up to 3.5 degrees of correction with anti-rotation inserts. This will accommodate 2"-3" lifts bringing castor close to .5 degrees of factory. This will aid any lifted vehicle above 3" of lift too. I can machine for more correction but there won't be adequate room for a proper diameter anti-rotation insert beyond 3.5 degrees. Cost per pair is $120 with inserts or $100 without inserts.
thumb.gif

Attachment shows 3.5 degrees correction with opposing anti-rotation inserts. Face milling of flange (shown) will not be done as it is unnecessary.

ezzzzz,

I am interested in a pair with the caster correction with inserts for my 2003 Disco swivel balls. It was lifted 2" with 33" tires. I am suffering vague steering issues and slight vibration at 50-60 mph. Checked everything else (i.e., new front rear drivelines, balanced, etc). I hope this will fix it.

Please let me know of the payment arrangement.

Thanks,
Andrew

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
ezzzzz,

I am interested in a pair with the caster correction with inserts for my 2003 Disco swivel balls. It was lifted 2" with 33" tires. I am suffering vague steering issues and slight vibration at 50-60 mph. Checked everything else (i.e., new front rear drivelines, balanced, etc). I hope this will fix it.

Please let me know of the payment arrangement.

Thanks,
Andrew

Post up a picture of your D2 swivel balls.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Oh boy . This is going to be interesting. I didn't think there was anything you could do to fix Disco 2 swivel balls. I sure hope someone here can help cause I might actually buy a Disco 2 if this can be done.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Oh boy . This is going to be interesting. I didn't think there was anything you could do to fix Disco 2 swivel balls. I sure hope someone here can help cause I might actually buy a Disco 2 if this can be done.

There isn't anything... because they're aren't swivel balls on a d2...but I can't tell if you're joking

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
why would I ever joke around? We could have had a shit ton of fun with this one. You know I know about swivel balls on A Disco 2. They all need to be corrected.

Last edited:

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
It's more than I can provide a service for.

Ya I suppose that would be a tall order. That could have been a lot of fun.

But to come back around and try to be helpful, since now I have a little more blood in my vodka system. You don't have swivel housings on your Disco2. You do I'm sure have similar problems that a Disco1 would have with the castor angle going negative as the axle swings downward due to the the lift. My advise would be to look for any loose tie rod ends, bushings in the pan hard rod or pitman arm(kind of common for Disco2). Any looseness is going to aggrivate your stability on the road. Also make sure your steering dampner is still good. I like to take it loose at one end and pull it thru its travel, if it offers resistance equally thru its travel it's not your problem.

If you need to change your caster angle I'm really not sure what is available for the disco2. I know early production trucks had a problem with cupping tires really bad and the fix was a replacement knuckle. Caster correcting radius arms are an option, I suppose, but then your going to have an angle problem with your front prop shaft and all the vibrations that come with that. Don't forget to check for loose bushings in the rear, like trailing arms. Cant tell you how many times I've fixed trucks with trailing arm bushings after all the usual suspects had been ruled out in the front of the truck.

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
Castor correcting arms are what lifted D2s need. I just slapped on some 3-degree arms from Bill at Overtym and my truck is a lot less scary on the highway now. My lift is in the 4" range. Haven't noted any vibes from the front shaft...yet.