Running way too hot but temperature in the engine is still nice and cool

HbgDisco

Oct 12, 2014
Harrisburg, PA
So I'm having an issue with my 98 Discovery 1 where after running the engine and driving for more than a half an hour everything under the hood is way too hot to remotely touch including the hood support rod and the top of the hood and everything else underneath it but the thermostat remains cool. Any thoughts on why things might be getting so hot?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
More information would help to identify and diagnose your problem. If you're not already aware of this, the dash temperature gauge is not a useful indicator of engine temp. It has three states: you're cold, you're fine, and you're fucked. It is possible for the engine to reach uncomfortably warm temperatures while the dash gauge is in the normal range.

To start with I recommend buying a Bluetooth dongle that you can plug into your OBD-2 port and download a free engine monitoring app onto your smart device (Torque seems to be a popular choice). This will allow you to read live data on your engine that will be more precise and accurate than the dash gauges. It will tell you exactly how hot your engine is getting. This whole setup can be had for less than $20 and is a powerful tool for monitoring your engine and diagnosing an array of problems.

The range of possible causes for your hot engine temps is broad. It could be a $15 thermostat or you could need a complete head gasket job. Without knowing more about your specific symptoms, other potential culprits could include a failing fan clutch, blocked radiator, or failing water pump. That's if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, it could be a cracked block. But again, not enough information yet to assess from afar.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I actually noticed the same thing this weekend while trail riding. Temp is at 188, but when I leaned on the truck while taking a break I burned my hand on the hood. It was unbearable to touch, again coolant temp was sub 200. Even the fenders were hot!

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I actually noticed the same thing this weekend while trail riding. Temp is at 188, but when I leaned on the truck while taking a break I burned my hand on the hood. It was unbearable to touch, again coolant temp was sub 200. Even the fenders were hot!

I wouldn't take trail riding and hot bonnet/fenders as an accurate sign of things awry.
You are in low gears, high revs at times and minimal airflow through the underbonnet area, it WILL heat up.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
If your not running hot, putting the hood insulation back on could help (assuming it’s no longer there). When I took mine off I immediately noticed the hood was always hot and the paint started going shortly after. It may have faded anyway judging by the roof but I think it helped it along. I also notice the hood steaming in the rain and snow now.