New exhaust install - what do I need?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Just received my new cat-back exhaust kit for my 1993 RR from Will and am planning some time to do the swap over an upcoming weekend. I've never done this job before. Anything I should know before I dive in?

Special materials to pick up (heat-resistant gasket)?

Specific tools I might need (angle grinder, etc.)?

Particular problems to anticipate?

This is a bolt-together kit, no welding or removal of undercarriage parts needed. I haven't even opened the box yet so I don't know the extent of what the kit includes.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
Might want to get two stainless bolts for the flange, other than that I think there's only two rubber hangers and a flange gasket to worry about. I did a complete Magnaflow on my '95 RRC (and my Disco) and it went like clockwork.

'99 Disco II
'76 Series III Hybrid 109

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Yes, I'm expecting to employ destructive methods to remove the old exhaust. It's currently hanging in two pieces and is probably the factory original.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
When I replaced the exhaust on my D1 last spring I had to cut the studs off the collar on the Y-pipe and drill holes (in situ) in it to accommodate stainless nuts and bolts.

Not hard but working on the ground whilst drilling out the studs was not a great way to spend an hour.

I used Permatex exhaust sealer in the joints. It cures with heat. Apply very liberally.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOAZM8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
If it has slip-on joints with clamps grease the slip joints with wheel bearing grease and you should be able to take it apart down the line if you need to.
Use a good quality anti sieze on the bolts, like NeverSeez.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Closing the loop on this thread. Job is complete, removal was a breeze, no problems with hardware. The kit I bought from Will was a Britpart 3-piece clamp together system. Nothing fancy, but it should do the job for a few years. Reassembly was trickier than I expected. Maneuvering the muffler onto the hangers while lining it up with the Y-pipe was not so simple. The rearmost hanger was also a pain, I ended up removing the hanger bracket from the frame, installing all the hardware in the rubber bumper, then bolting the bracket back on with the resonator attached. Took perhaps 90 minutes start to finish including breaks, having an extra set of hands was helpful. Not a tough job, just a little awkward at points. The muffler kit from Will was a good deal so if anyone else is considering a replacement that is an option to keep in mind.