P1316 code after an overheat

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Thanks for the response!
I took another image of the plug hole, I stuck a small metal rod beyond the threads and felt something in there that could bump into the plug :(

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Yikes is right! Can you tell if there is a foreign object in the cylinder? Like if you shove a probe in there, can you feel anything loose moving around? Maybe turn the crank a bit so the cylinder in that piston drops down a little? If you can fix a magnet to a piece of wire and lower it through the plug hole, perhaps you can retrieve anything small enough to pass back through the hole. Assuming it's ferrous and that there is actually something in there, which is all speculation.

One of my greatest fears during the head gasket job was dropping stuff into the engine during reassembly. Despite using masking tape and rags to cover all points of entry, I still managed to drop a fuel injector O-ring into one of the cylinders after replacing the heads. Thankfully I was able to vacuum it out without having to take stuff back apart.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Oh boy....that spark plug doesn't look good!:ack:

You can definitely run a bore scope in the spark plug hole to see what you can, but at the end of the day I think the heads are going to have to come off to assess the damage and see if the engine is repairable.

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Hello Everyone,
I'll get my hands on a bore scope to take a look inside the hole to see whats going on.
What should I be or not be looking for?

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
I'll get may hands on a bore scope this weekend and report whats it looks like on the inside.
So this #8 bugger has been the cause of my ticking sound. Seems to always be something.

Thanks

Last edited:

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Hello again,

Got everything taken apart and here is how she looks.
Valve stem on #8 broke. :(
The head gasket looks to be in good condition with no missing material, no sign of any coolant in the oil.

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
It looks pretty busted up.
I think I can buff the piston head though.
And buffing suggestions, tips, methods?
Dremel, material?
This is my learning curve so give me what you got to get her back on the road.

Thanks

Leaks

Feb 13, 2010
The stalling must have been caused by the valve spring failing which led to contact between the piston and valve head?

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
I have been wondering about that too. I am leaning more toward what you said about the valve spring being the first part of the fail