Hot Showers

G

Grouseman

Ok what gizmos do you use to get hot showers while out camping? I have seen the coleman propane version. Does anybody here have the gizmo that you hook up via hoses on the car engine, for a heat transfer, and have continous hot water? Are there any other gizmos that will give you continous hot water for showers?

I need a good comfortable place to sleep, and a hot shower, I will be set.

SS

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Yes the hot water on demand works really well for dishes, coffee and showers. Used it for 2 weeks and loved it. Like many, it will heat only as quick and as hot as the incoming water since it pumps at a constant speed. Has pressure regulated adaptor for attaching to house water. The termastat is regulated so that the hottest setting (where you are most likely to burn yourself), must be held on with your hand.

I like it, but have no experience with any other brand. Has a good warranty too.

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1599

Brian

Last edited:
K

Kyle

SO , you guys often talk about "Hot showers" amongst yourselves ? Rob should be in on this one... He might have some insight..

Kyle

G

Grouseman

Deckers Hot Showers

Did a google search. Check this idea out. This is what I will end up with because you can have a hot shower for as long as you want. When I go to the "Outback" I get really dirty chasing Upland Birds, swamps, etc. This is the Ticket.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
What is the deal? I post about showers and get one response, someone else posts and you all show up! Ugh, sometimes I hate being a girl.

Paul, we are looking at getting that Zodi extreme. And I think for me, I'll get the shower tent! 4 days at MAR without a shower is too long! Do you think it's strong enough for someone with long hair?!

Aside from rigging it in the engine, I think the propane-heated tanks look best.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
The extreme is a hand pump, like a insect sprayer, so likely it will spray pretty well, but run out quickly and you will have to pump again.

G

Grouseman

Rover Lady

Sorry about the amount of responses to my post. My pick will be for the largest amount of shower water in the shortest period of time. Looks are important, but in this case, functionalility is the most important.

Steve

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
I meant look like the best bet/best deal. Not the way they look on the OUTSIDE!

I agree Bri. We were actually considering getting a sprayer, like the kind you use for gardening, and just adding hot water from the stove!

Nothing for camping will be quite like home, but I think those systems with a 5-10 gallon reservoir will give you the best shower for the size and portability.

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
In general for me and my S.O. 5 gallons would work for 2 showers, if you occasionally turn it off during your shower, i.e. wet down, turn off, lather-up, rinse.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Rob, I wondered about you!

Bri, I agree. We used to take showers like that on my parents' boat....with a 200 gallon tank, and four people for a long weekend on a 40 ft-er....you had to be conservative!

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Thats funny I do the rubbing alcohol modified french shower when back packing. Works great and feels great on the peds.

For sunday meetings add some Axe. :)

Brian

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/reviews/shower/

"During one test I started with 50 degree water from a bucket. The output water was 105 degrees with good water volume and I could see the steem coming off the water. "

That is not so good compared to the Coleman. At least when I took water from a well, it would heat it well beyond what you could tolerate on your skin (if desired that is). 105 is like a hot bath (many keep their hot tubs at 104). The coleman will make coffee if you wish.

I wonder if the above have any impact on the performance of your heater?

Brian

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Roverlady said:
What is the deal? I post about showers and get one response, someone else posts and you all show up! Ugh, sometimes I hate being a girl.

Paul, we are looking at getting that Zodi extreme. And I think for me, I'll get the shower tent! 4 days at MAR without a shower is too long! Do you think it's strong enough for someone with long hair?!

Aside from rigging it in the engine, I think the propane-heated tanks look best.

I have the Zodi one burner, and have used it alot. Last year at MAR, if you recall, it was quite cold Friday night. That night I fired it up and let it reciculate the water for a bit, until the water in the tank was warm to the touch, then showered and it was fine. The higher you have the showerhead, the slower the flow and so hotter the water.

Bass Pro Shops also sells them.

If I'm in the mood for a long shower, I use a 5gal military surplus water can (like the NATO gas can, only a wider mouth). I can take quite a few showers on a set of new batteries. It also comes in handy for washing up after dinner.