squeeling rear brakes

Hoot

Apr 19, 2004
Bloomfield twp, MI
I know this has been discussed ad nausiam on the board before the switch over to the new server began but since those archives are not yet online i want to ask the question again.

i recently replaced my rear rotors and bearings and pads. I did this becasue the old ones were squeeling up a storm, and the rotor thickness was just at that "nominal tolerence thickness" so i fugured what the hell i'll just replace them.

I used lockheed rotors and the lockheed pads.but after about 2 days they are back to squeeling like a stuck pig. ain't that a bitch. i know the lockheed pads did not have the beveled edges on them i saw it when i installed them, and i suspect that taking the pads out and grinding the bevel into them will help eleviate some of the squeel. at least that is what i have been told. however is this really just a waste of my time? should i just pony up and order the LR genuine like i should have in the first place?

and before anyone suggests it i used the red antisqueel goop on the backs of the pads before i installed. but i think the only thing that goop did for me was lighten my wallet by $7.00.

J

Jim

Sounds like your brake problem may be a bearing problem.

Here's what you do:

Get it back up in the air and remove the brake pads from both rear wheels, make sure you're properly chocked and put the vehicle in neutral.

Start turning your rotor/axle. If it feels rough or growly, it's your axle bearings (some will call them wheel bearings or hub bearings).

Easy to replace but you'll need to buy a socket the size of a coffee mug, I think it's 2-1/8" but MAN what a cool tool!

My money says it's your bearings, brakes squeak, but your post seemed to indicate a noise level that would point to bearings . . .

Good Luck

macklow

May 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
rear brakes squeal

my rear brakes are also squealing. I've tried the goop, but no help.

I'll probably buy some original pads sometime. My brakes will
squeal even at highway speeds without touching the brakes.

Hoot

Apr 19, 2004
Bloomfield twp, MI
jim,

good suggestion but alas it is not the bearings. i changed them when i changed the pads and rotors. i gues i could have F'd up the job, but bearings are pretty straight forward knock the olds ones out pack the new ones with grease, beat em back in, close it all up.

i bought the pads form rovers north so i called them and they said that sometimes with the loockheed aftermarket pads they will squeel like that. the OEMs come with the beveled edge, the aftermarkets don't. I have just been living with the damn squeel until i find the time to pull the pads off.