Great Movies

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
chris snell said:
I think I have my media system dialed in. I'm taking a small home NAS, a Mac Mini, a small wifi access point and my iPad. I'm using Plex to stream movies from the Mac to the iPad and it's awesome. Anyone else with a Mac, pc, iPhone/iPad or android phone can connect and stream from my movie library. It all fits in a baby pelican case.

I've been adding all of these movies y'all come up with to the Netflix queue and I'm ripping a few every day. Should have a good collection by the time I leave.

Genius plan!

There have been a zillion fantastic movies mentioned already, but there are some that haven't been added to the list (at least not that I've seen on there, I mighta missed a few), so I'll mention some, mostly by director to save space.

Frankenheimer - specifically Ronin, but others are badass too - Seconds is a neat film that nobody's heard of.
Kurosawa - surprised I haven't seen The Seven Samurai listed yet - all Kurosawa's films are worth seeing.
Bergman - the famous one is The Seventh Seal, but again, all worth a watch.
Ridley Scott - Start with Alien and Blade Runner, the list will go on.
James Cameron - T1, T2, Aliens, 'nuff said.
Luc Besson - La Femme Nikita. Fifth Element. Again, 'nuff said.
Scorsese
Kubrick
Peter Weir - Master and Commander, the Mosquito Coast...
Werner Herzog - Aguirre the Wrath of God, and all of his Docs.... must see movies.
Christopher Nolan - I know, some have been mentioned already, but get all of his films. Inception still makes me fucking hard.

Other good random ones that are off the beaten path:

In the Bedroom
Primer
Harry Brown
Let the Right One In (the Swedish one)
Solaris (both)
Oldboy
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Brick
Once Upon a Time in China (all of them)
Drunken Master (all of them)
Anything with Sammo fucking Hung!!!
(and various Kung Fu movies. Kept me sane when I lived in China)

Also agreed that TV Series are a must have:
Sopranos (mentioned already, but get it)
Justified
Deadwood
House MD
Futurama
Six Feet Under
The Dollhouse (What? Hot chicks and martial arts...)
Firefly (you too will curse the day it was canceled)
Lost (don't expect answers)
Terriers
Sons of Anarchy
True Blood
Game of Thrones
Weeds
Dexter
Californication (kinda depressing sometimes, but seriously good, and lots of titties)
The Big Bang Theory

And FYI, torrenting is probably faster than ripping, not that I would ever condone either type of illegal activity. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Timmy!!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2004
Bourbon Street
www.facebook.com
chris snell said:
I think I have my media system dialed in. I'm taking a small home NAS, a Mac Mini, a small wifi access point and my iPad. I'm using Plex to stream movies from the Mac to the iPad and it's awesome. Anyone else with a Mac, pc, iPhone/iPad or android phone can connect and stream from my movie library. It all fits in a baby pelican case.

Thanks Chris for the info! I think this will help me out with all the stuff I have in my dorm room.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Time to bump this thread. I have a long flight to Portugal coming up and I want to take some good movies with me. Any new favorites?

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Here's some stuff that's just plain fun:

If you like fantasy and can overlook budget, the Mythica films are quite entertaining. If the first hooks you, there are enough to knock out most of such a flight.

Another one I've seen recently is Knights of Badassdom, which advertises itself well enough in the title, plus a geek factor of about 9.57.

Along the same lines, I also watched Lazer Team, and I'm glad I did.

Cheers,

Kennith

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Another option, although not a movie:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

Wrath of the Khans and Blueprint for Armageddon

The Khans is about 9h long (5 segments) and Armageddon (about WWI) is about 20h long. Armageddon is free; Khans is $10.

Armageddon is awesome; I'm going to listen the Wrath this weekend when I move my girls back to college (7h each way).

ETA: Ghosts of the Ossfront (The eastern front during WW2) looks great as well. $6 for the series

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN