Replacing plastic pipe for rubber coolant hoses

SafariDave

Sep 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Does anyone know the diameter and length of the rubber hose needed to replace the plastic pipe that goes from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank on a D2? And the one from the throttle body to the expansion tank, also as well the one from the block to throttle body?
I want to replace all of them with coolant rubber hoses. This is for my Discovery II V8.
Thanks,
Dave

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
They are all the same. If you want to be 100% sure on the size, just take a piece of one to the auto parts store with you, but I'm pretty sure they are 7/16"

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
Does anyone know the diameter and length of the rubber hose needed to replace the plastic pipe that goes from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank on a D2? And the one from the throttle body to the expansion tank, also as well the one from the block to throttle body?
I want to replace all of them with coolant rubber hoses. This is for my Discovery II V8.
Thanks,
Dave

I used 5/16" for both. Never had an over heat problem.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
My plastic ones got all brittle and were breaking up when I touched them, so I got a few meters of flexible line and a handful of jubilee clamps and replaced the whole lot.

A friend who is a bit of an Anorak got the vapours when he saw the new pipes and threatened to have me excommunicated....go figure.

MacRoadie

Jan 24, 2017
Placentia, CA
A friend who is a bit of an Anorak got the vapours when he saw the new pipes and threatened to have me excommunicated....go figure.

Right, because every village out in the bush has an auto parts store loaded with obscure BritPart replacements. Your friend clearly hasn't: A. Owned a Disco, and B. Had to bodge together a repair miles from nowhere. LOL

I have one of those pipes sitting in its little blue bag in the top bin of my roll away, never to be used. Bought it, then realized how shite the original pipe was, and how ridiculous the routing was (and what a nightmare it would be to try to fix it out on the trail). Realized repairs would need to be made using tubing anyway, so I went ahead and swapped out all the rigid plastic piping for high quality hose with durable, re-usable clamps.