Damn Throttle Body Pre-Heater Gasket Again

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
I think it’s a great looking product. Report back on it & let us know how it works out. I have no problem paying for a quality product. I’m all about improving something especially if it has a flaw or poor quality. I drive 4 D2’s and Hurricane Harvey was very extreme with water up to my wipers several times, my 99 D2 performed flawless and got me in/out of harms way.

kcabpilot

Mar 26, 2006
California
It blows my mind as to what extent people can argue for a lack of necessity of a repair or replacement of a 30-dollar part...

Yea and to be clear I was never advocating that. In fact if you look back you'll find posts from me years ago saying the exact same thing as you. But I've had the Disco for 12 years and over 130,000 miles and I've fixed the TBH before and it didn't leak, the last time for over six years but when it did eventually leak I just capped the lines and figured I'd deal with it later. Still haven't gotten to it. My only point was that the TB isn't going to freeze up on you which is something you yourself agree with.

In regards to throttle vs venturi the thermodynamics are the same (and it's interesting) but they are definitely different because every carbureted aircraft has that carb heat knob and we pull it all the time because they do get ice. Aircraft with throttle bodies don't have carb heat, they have alternate air, which is what you are pointing out in the regs. The reason for that is because an aircraft can pick up ice right at the intake on the cowl as well as on the wings and prop and everywhere else if it flys into the wrong conditions. Alternate air is to bypass a plugged intake, not to melt ice on the throttle. The alternate air will be taken from a place that is not subject to the icing conditions outside of the aircraft.

Anyway, this is just a discussion, we don't need to get personal or accuse anyone of being an armchair physicist or trash talk them just because we don't agree. Just say your part.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Anyway, this is just a discussion, we don't need to get personal or accuse anyone of being an armchair physicist or trash talk them just because we don't agree. Just say your part.

Fair enough. My response was triggered by bringing up physics explaining why a throttle body could never freeze up -because physics clearly suggests otherwise.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina

That was your play early on, not anyone else's. You brought it upon yourself, and you are indeed an armchair physicist.

Deal with it, because it's never going away.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I think it?s a great looking product. Report back on it & let us know how it works out. I have no problem paying for a quality product. I?m all about improving something especially if it has a flaw or poor quality. I drive 4 D2?s and Hurricane Harvey was very extreme with water up to my wipers several times, my 99 D2 performed flawless and got me in/out of harms way.

They're lots of fun, and I know mine's sure been to hell and back with me on board.

Fording is actually my favorite Rover activity, as it doesn't involve scrubbing mud and dirt for two hours after doing it. :rofl:

Yeah, I do intend to report back. People actually do that here, which is a good thing. On many forums, people don't bother.

It might be at the post office now, but within a couple of days of receiving it, I'll take some good pictures, as well.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Jeeze, chill out dude :beer:

I'm perfectly chill. Let me point out the problem I have with you:

1: You don't understand what an opinion is. That, more than anything, will earn a person a strike against respect.

2: You're passive aggressive, and you think people don't see it. You're not sneaking that crap by me.

3: You don't care that bullshit hurts uninformed readers; you just want a footprint.

4: For some reason, you think you're entitled to just back out of the bullshit with smiley faces.

5: You have no idea what you're talking about, but still feel the need to flap your gums.

This isn't a matter of opinion, and physics principals aren't toys that can be interpreted at will to serve one's purpose. There is no middle ground to be had here, and yet now you scramble for it, as if you somehow deserve wet ankles instead of knees.

This isn't kindergarten. You don't get a participation trophy, and failure is just that: Failure. I'm not the bad guy, here. It just looks that way because you think you've been clever about your presentation. Fine by me.

If you want to fuck over the uninformed, find a place to do it that I don't frequent; because I'm going to call your butt out regardless of consequence. I don't let people smile off such a play. You're the worst kind of asshole, and I'd rather someone steal my radio than peddle nonsense like that and get off with a grin.

Not going to happen. You want to try to make me out to look like the bad guy? Go ahead, poncho. Doesn't bother me a bit.

You're full of crap, and it's obvious. I'm just the one that's taking whatever hit comes from pointing it out here. Either way you should have stayed under your rock rather than forcing someone's hand. This time it's me. Next time it might be someone else.

Either way it's going to happen.

Cheers,

Kennith

kcabpilot

Mar 26, 2006
California
Okay Kennith if that?s the way you want it...

...Long idling periods in certain weather conditions can cause ice-related seizing of the throttle body. The heater just prevents condensation from reaching that point and stops a few other factors that could cause the same issue...

Total fuckin’ bullshit and you know it. You pulled that right out of your ass didn’t you?

Cheers yourself

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
does light aircraft run a closed crankcase fed into the intake? They run leaded fuel, so I'm guessing they are exempt from other emission concerns. The exhaust blow by seems to be the h2o source for all the frozen throttle blades that show up in a google search of "throttle body ice"

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Okay Kennith if that?s the way you want it...

Total fuckin? bullshit and you know it. You pulled that right out of your ass didn?t you?

Cheers yourself

The only thing I want is for you to shut your trap or know your subject matter. If you're not going to do either of those things, we will never come to terms.

People like you cause the knowledge-seeking ignorant to suffer needlessly all over the world.

Let me make this clear: I don't just "not like" you; no... It's beyond that. People like you are the cause of many problems. I've had to clean up your messes, and they aren't always pretty. So far as I'm concerned, you're all clones of the same waste of biomass.

So, it's not that I don't "like" you. I fucking loath you. You waste oxygen that would be better used on a terminal heroin addict. You certainly do more to damage society.

In my eyes, you're not even a sentient form of life. I'd buy a new pair of boots before I'd even bend down to scrape you off one.

That's where you occupy my world; as a pestilence and cancer upon society.

Cheers,

Kennith

kcabpilot

Mar 26, 2006
California
does light aircraft run a closed crankcase fed into the intake? They run leaded fuel, so I'm guessing they are exempt from other emission concerns. The exhaust blow by seems to be the h2o source for all the frozen throttle blades that show up in a google search of "throttle body ice"

No the crankcase is vented to outside usually through an oil/vapor separator. The engines are 5 to 7 liters. Thing is, aircraft fly at altitude through colder air and even through clouds with no throttle body heat. On Continentals the throttle body and fuel distributor are not even directly mounted to the crankcase.

And they don’t freeze up

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Damn it Brianhoberg! See what you started??? lol

Nah, a fever started the more aggressive response. I've been up and down for a week; loopy as hell, too.

Not deleting it, as it's still a good point, and a good illustration of what happens when you post if your mind ain't right.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
FALCONWORKS UNIT:

I'll snap some pictures later today, but right now I want to go ahead and put out an "initial quality" impression.

Don't buy it! :rofl:

This bugger is going back as soon as possible. I'll just make one myself. This is a perfect example of a good idea made bad by poor workmanship.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Um...nope, you're not.

Now if I were DiscoMike I'd have given you my phone number and insisted you call me

Certainly true about the phone call.

I'm chill. Too chill. Last night I was too hot, at about 103 degrees give or take. I thought I was having fun. Must have taken forever to type that.

I do still stand by my points about your contention coming from a dangerous place, but the venom I retract at this time.

Do try to avoid malaria and anything similar.

I'll probably start to burn up again this evening, but I think it's tapering off.

Cheers,

Kennith

kcabpilot

Mar 26, 2006
California
Yea let's agree to disagree on that subject and not talk about it anymore. I see you spent 250 bucks on an upgraded TBH plate, good on you I hope it works. Some people are going to tell you you're nuts putting money into your Disco, here's my story:

I bought my truck in 2005 for $18k, really nice loaded 2001 SE7 with all the options ACE, SLS, 7 seats, rear air con, dual sunroofs and 48,000 miles. The only mods I did to it were bigger tires and I installed a transfer case shifter from a D1 so I could hook up the diff lock because although the 01's had CDL BMW decided there was no need to connect it. Around 100k it started dripping coolant from the front of the left head so I pulled both heads, had the valves done and put it back together. At around 189k miles I was coming back from a two week trail trek across Nevada and Utah that included the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands i started overheating - only when going up a hill though. Well I had a lot of hills to get over to get back home (the Sierra Nevada) but I managed to make it. I figured it was a head gasket again but due to mileage I also figured it was time for a complete overhaul.

So I bought a used 4.6 motor from drillbit here on discoweb and swapped it in. He also gave me a deal on a spare 4.6 crank and rod set so my plan was, and still is, to rebuild my 4.0 as a 4.6 with top hat liners and all new bearings, pistons, cam, lifters, valves, guides and rocker assemblies. I've priced it out and it's just under $7k including the $1500 for the top hat conversion work and a $500 allowance for machine shop to put the new guides in the heads.

So if anybody gives you shit about putting money into your D2 I got your back ;)

BTW - the only thing that doesn't work on my truck is the CD changer because who the hell uses CD's anymore (oh, and the throttle body heater but we won't go there :eek:

EDIT: oops, I missed your post above about the Falconworks. Too bad although I did think it was a bit pricey for a 2x2 slab of bronze with a couple of quarter inch nipples. FWIW the last time I did mine I honed both surfaces with 2000 grit and used Hondabond and it lasted for about six years. You're right, it's a combo of the alloy and the three screws. If it had a screw in each corner I don't think it would ever leak.

Last edited: