Valley pan gasket swelled. A bit.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Too bad you have it all apart. I know that you probably wouldn't have seen than with the plenum installed, but it would have been nice to put a vacuum/pressure gauge on the PCV hose to see what's going on.

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
The metal is bulged. I thought the same thing. In 15+ years I do not remember ever seeing that posted anywhere. If it was I missed it. Two LR techs tell me it must be clogged hoses on the valve covers most likely. Cleaning those up for reinstall after I get the heads done.

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
It was, both valve covers came apart for a good scrub. Both gaskets look fine, heads as well and no obvious failure. That leads me to wonder where the coolant was coming out. I have a new water pump and thermostat since I am in this deep, but wondering where else to look? It was definitely coming off the back of the engine and down the transmission.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I always thought that was from a head gasket clamping failure. Just going by memory I've seen it a couple times and both times had a clamping failure of a head gasket. Like a broken headbolt or threads pulled out of the block cause coolant was down in the hole.

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
I just took it all the way down to the block to be sure and went in with new bolts and gaskets. New water punp and thermostat, since it is all apart.