Bosch intake on a D1

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
every once in a while I see reference to this usually on foreign websites, but never any pics and 14cux is almost always ditched for something else. Figure I'll give this a try since the engine seems to really only have any grunt above 2500 RPM it'll be nice to lower that powerband.

issues

1. throttle cable
2. kickdown cable
3. cruise control diaphgram
4. idle air control
5. coolant temperature sending unit (gauge)
6. coolant temperature sending unit (ecu)
7. thermostat housing
8. fuel rail
9. TPS sending unit
10. throttle body to intake manifold duct

throttle body, kickdown, and cruise control will be dealt with by making custom brackets and swapping to a cable drive cruise control like a D2. Ashcroft makes a really long ZF kickdown cable for custom swaps that I have on order. Grabbed a 200/300 TDI throttle cable that I hope is long enough, if not theres always the 98 50th edition 4.0 defender cable, but thats likely way to long.

idle air will be a custom housing where the D2 IAC went

ECU temp sensor threads in place of the Bosch sending unit. There is an untapped boss on the left side of the lower manifold that the gauge sending unit fits

Thermostat housing will take some machine work. One of the 3 bolt holes lines up, there is a casting boss for the second bolt, blind drill and tap takes care of that. The pocket for the thermostat will have to be farmed out to a shop with a mill with some Z height, I can't do that at home and don't want to mess it up.

Early range rover fuel rail looks like it fits. I'll lose the schraeder valve, but I'm sure I can work around that. Feet either need to be hacked up or removed and re-brazed in the correct location.

TPS needs an adapter, got that designed and it'll be printed out of high heat tolerant material

Throttle body to MAF duct work is going to be an ugly hack. I'll figure that out later.

The plan so far:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

mbrummal

Jan 23, 2009
Willow Spring, NC
Could you just bolt the Bosch upper intake manifold onto the GEMS lower intake manifold? I assume it doesn't if you're already going through this much trouble but if it did it seems like it could save you some work.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
ashcroft kickdown cable showed up. Looks like it will work. Going to only have throttle and kickdown on the bracket I'm making. Cruise cable bracket can bolt on top of that. Keeps things simple.

Flipped the IAC housing around so the wires point to the back. I didn't like the radius of the wire bend that it would take to have it face forward. Hope to knock it out of aluminum this weekend.

6.JPG

5.JPG

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
looks like the D2 heater pipe from the manifold to heater core will work. Does not look like the D1 pipe from the waterpump to heater core will work, not sure if hacking it up or making a new one is the right path yet.

IAC housing done

7.JPG

8.JPG

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
This one may be difficult to make, but its the ideal heater line design, factory one ghosted behind it

10.JPG

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
the oil filler is in the way of the throttle linkage, going to have to switch to D2 valve covers. The coolant line iteration 1 won't clear, going to have to route it around the filler. Found a shop that can do 2.5D bends at low volume. The biggest problem with multi bends is keeping the start and stop far enough apart for the equipment. If they cant do it it'll end up with a 4D bend and look like a bunch of hoolahoops stuck together.

11.JPG

12.JPG

AMR3606 for the throttle cable looks like a winner. Plenty of length to route it correctly

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Robert - I think what you want to do can be accomplished by simply increasing the volume of the upper intake plenum. It is a simple Helmholtz resonator; increasing the runners' lengths is difficult and decreasing their diameter is counterproductive - but methinks you could weld up an extension to the upper plenum and shift the peak torque RPM lower.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Sure I came up with this a few years ago. I can't find the excel sheet I used to come up with the length or what the target RPM was. was going to pair it with the plenum volume spacer that one of those UK companies make. Hood height was a limiting factor.

When I shopped it out it was stupid money to have made and beyond the extents of my machine. Since it was already a compromise between packaging and desired powerband I skipped it.

SPACER1.jpg

maybe I'll put it on my stockish disco, but its already a torque monster with the 4.6/4.0 piston combo and seems to shit a critical drivetrain component once a year.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Sure I came up with this a few years ago. I can't find the excel sheet I used to come up with the length or what the target RPM was. was going to pair it with the plenum volume spacer that one of those UK companies make. Hood height was a limiting factor.
Yeah, that's why I thought it would be hard to make a considerable increase in runners' length.
There's another option that could work - machining and jamming de Laval's nozzles into the bottoms of the trumpets, although what makes them less restrictive also makes their effective diameter larger.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
TPS adapter. Need to pick up a 6200 bearing. Thought the local hardware store would have it, wrong.

16.JPG

factory D2 throttle linkage linkage

14.JPG

throttle linkage spindle adapter

13.JPG

spindle adapter with factory cruise control linkage installed over it.

15.JPG

need to cut out sheetmetal next