beasley knob

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I heard the main fun trail (forget the #) is temporarily closed.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I couldn't find anything about a closure on the USFS page. With all of the fires, it wouldn't surprise me if it was closed.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Some guys at SAE who are part of a local 4x4 club that has adopted Beasley as their trail mentioned it to me. I don't have any other specific info just heads up in case there are some closures. Apparently they are doing renovations to that one interesting trail to make it more challenging.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Stand by. I'm trying to confirm now. Would hate for you to waste a trip. You could always come up to AOP instead ;)

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Yeah I'm being told it's 93b that's closed until some time next year. Not permanently - just for upgrades.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
This and uwharrie are both about 3 hours away from me. Who has been to both and can weight in on where a Sunday would be better spent??

Currently have a d2 mostly stock**

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Uwharrie is much better for a stock truck. I've run both systems multiple times and Uwharrie is more fun. Beasley is steep and rocky and treacherous in the wet (not a problem this summer) but its a good trail system. Trails at Uwharrie are longer and more scenic.

There are some fires near Beasley that are flooding the area with smoke and everything is so dry the forest service may shut it down to reduce the chance of new fires any day.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
Uwharrie is much better for a stock truck. I've run both systems multiple times and Uwharrie is more fun. Beasley is steep and rocky and treacherous in the wet (not a problem this summer) but its a good trail system. Trails at Uwharrie are longer and more scenic.

There are some fires near Beasley that are flooding the area with smoke and everything is so dry the forest service may shut it down to reduce the chance of new fires any day.

Thanks for the info!

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I second what Jack said but would add that there are two trails at Uwharrie that will tear up a stock truck. So make sure to get a trail map and avoid the trails named Daniel and Dicky Bell.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
I second what Jack said but would add that there are two trails at Uwharrie that will tear up a stock truck. So make sure to get a trail map and avoid the trails named Daniel and Dicky Bell.

Thanks I'll remember that

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Uwharrie is far better overall and a stock truck can tackle most trails there...i just live close to Beasley. However, now that 93B is closed it is not worth going to. I may head up to AOP!

JackW

Mar 17, 2005

Daniel is fine if you run it in from the north end to the top of the big hill - you'll know it when you get to it. There is a rocky hill climb about a 1/4 mile in that is fun and has multiple choices for routes. The big hill on Daniel is something you probably want to avoid and there are some ledges below it that have been a source for problems as you come up from the south end. There is also a tree after the ledges right after a tight hairpin turn that like to grab roof racks.

Dickey Bell is one of my favorite trails - f you run it southbound you'll come down the big hill on it and if its dry its not too much of a problem. There are some rocky sections right after the ridge where the wooden guardrails are but most of that trail is pretty good for even a stock truck. Rock sliders can come in handy though.