Third Generation Range Rover (2002-12) what to look for?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Considering a third gen RR. What to look for, what to avoid?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Skip everything prior to 2006. My preference would be 2007 - 2009 with the Jaguar 4.4. Earlier models had the BMW M62 engine (and no Terrain Response), later had the 5.0 Jag. With a vehicle of this complexity it's not a bad idea to get a pre-purchase inspection from someone who knows the model. Certified pre-owned is another option. Check out the forums on rangerovers.net, the usual problems are pretty well documented.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I do want some power. Opinions on the 2007-2009 supercharged? Also only looking at full size, no sporto models.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Will also most definitely have a LR certified mechanic do a comprehensive PPI.

Does anyone have tasteful front winch and rear steel bumper options?

Senpai

Dec 31, 2016
Tennessee
Listen for pops in the front end when braking. Pops equal lower control arm bushings shot. Depending on age, mileage, front air struts will expire. Even the Arrnotts are expensive. The Bmw trucks will make cam phaser noise if proper maintenance was not preformed. The Bmw trucks leak and consume oil regularly. Hit or miss on front diff noise. With that being said, IMO, P38's were light years better than the classics, L322 trucks are galaxies better than the P38s. Jury is still out on the 5.0s, we will see.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I do want some power. Opinions on the 2007-2009 supercharged? Also only looking at full size, no sporto models.

Those are the years you want.'09 preferably. They always seem to pull out all the stops and try to get shit right before a big change. The 2010's look the same but had big changes.

Outside of a supercharger coolant pump that causes a reduced power message the 4.2 was always pretty good.

If it has rear seat entertainment make sure its a factory system and not some hacked in shit.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
IMO, P38's were light years better than the classics

I'm curious to know what features, engineering, and design aspects of the P38 you found to be improvements over the Classic.

I can think of some:
  • Stereo
  • Floor mats
  • 4.6 motor put out more HP and torque, but the Classic engines weren't exactly deficient in this area. Some people think that more is always better, but this is subjective.
  • Rear window wiper

That hardly constitutes "light years better".

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
07-09 hse luxury pkg.

The 06-09 supercharged ones are eating transmissions. Or valve bodies more specifically. Bad programming. Rover and ZF had a disagreement...

Jan 25, 2010
your moms bed
07-09 hse luxury pkg.

The 06-09 supercharged ones are eating transmissions. Or valve bodies more specifically. Bad programming. Rover and ZF had a disagreement...

This. Heated/air conditioned seats, heated steering wheel, rear entertainment and rear locker. Love mine.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
AC seats and rear entertainment would be ideal. Supercharged issues duly noted.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Looking once again at L322 Mark III Range Rovers.

I've found few 2009's with the desirable 4.4 but those are pretty much all very high-mileage and ratted out by now.

So I'm looking for 2011-2012's with as low miles as possible, the 5.0 V8 obviously, NON-supercharged, ideally with the LUX package and the ball coolers. Definitely want ball coolers. White exterior and black interior is preferred. I'll pinstripe the fuck out of black paint and my kids use the interior as a jungle gym while camping. The white oxford leather doesn't age well and the white driver's seats all look ghetto.

My theory is that I should look for the best service history possible. What would you value more....service history or lower miles?

I really want less than 80K miles but found a sweet white one with black interior, LUX, 89K miles, but service history is incredible. All LR dealer service in CA - sold at LR West Hollywood, serviced mainly at LR South Bay Redondo by first 2 owners. 15K service done at 9500 miles. 30K service done at 18K miles. 45K service done at 26K miles. 30K service done again at 30K miles. 45K service done again at 39K miles. 60K service done at 54K miles. 60K service done again at 60K miles. Who the fuck does that? Maybe someone was bangin their LR dealer. Then owner 3 started with the indy shops after 1 trip to LR South Bay in June 2018 with about 71K on the clock. So it's had about 19K miles of non-LR Dealer service in the past 2.5 years. Still, its the best service history I've seen so far on Carfax.

Found a couple other LUX versions with lower miles (about 75K) including one local but service history is pretty spotty. They are also black on white.

Also managed to find one with a rear locker...interestingly enough it's a white on black 2012 supercharged down in Tucson. Has 94K miles and the price is great but I don't really want supercharged.

Question - can you get 18" wheels on these L322s? Stock size is 255/50/20. I've read that the supercharged has larger Brembo calipers and you can't go less than 20". Or is my only option 20" wheels & tires regardless of SC or non-SC? If that's the case then I may consider an SC...

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I would think about going with an 09. You avoid the whole 5.0 nightmare. Not sure about the 18 in wheels. I kind of remember seeing something like that and it looked kind of strange. Maybe with enough tire that would fix that. Ball coolers are geat. Lower miles will negate a lot of the service history, miles always drives the price.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
So the 4.4 is really that much better than the 5.0, huh? I appreciate your input!