LR4 Roof Rack Recommendations

joshasbury

Jun 21, 2016
Hamilton, OH
I just took delivery of a 2016 D4 to replace my 04 D2 (for sale soon). I have a Safety Devices rack on her that has served me well, and I'm looking for opinions on racks that you all like for the LR4. I am digging the functionality that the Frontrunner appears to provide -- plus it will let me mount my Pelican cases. What models do you all like? Voyager? Rhino? Others?

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Frontrunner is very functional, but loud.

Take advantage of the USD to GBP and get a prospeed. I am biased, but believe it is the LR3/LR4 version of the low SD rack (i.e. that which all others are measured against).
r-
Ray

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The option that Baja Rack offers for the LR4 strikes me as looking tidy and functional. They have 2 versions: one has a flat back section if you want to mount a rooftop tent that unfolds over the edge of the vehicle, the other has a raised basket section around the entire rack.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
The Prospeed does look nice. What accessories would I need to secure my Pelican cases?

Depends on what size your peli's are as to whether you need flooring or not. Prospeed sells flooring for their racks (I assume L8 offers that as part of the lineup). It's decent but I just went ahead and put chickencoop flooring on it since that was cheaper, easier to modify, etc. The nice thing about the PS rack is the ability to add eyelets anywhere along the rails b/c of the M8 sized holes. You can either get M8 eyelets (PS sells those) or you can use M8 bolts and put other tiedowns up there.

If you get their rack I highly suggest flooring since you don't want to be stepping on glass roofing back accident.
r-
Ray

edit: you can more/less see the floored area here:

Here's a shot of the flooring as it went on with M8 bolts holding down Dii tiedowns and the coop flooring: