non-stock spare fitment - any tricks?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I picked up a 1993 SWB last week and was able to talk the seller down because the tires were in such dire shape. He had 225/75/16 on there, that's the size I had on my last RRC, and I wasn't interested in narrowing down to the factory size of 205/85. The original spare Michelin XMS was under the carpeted cover and worn bare.

I bought 5 General Grabber AT2 tires in 225/75/16 and found out the hard way that this is too chubby to fit neatly in the spot for the spare in back. It fits, kind of, but I can't secure the tire in place with the factory bolt/washer keeper and now the extra width means I can't fit the parcel shelf. I can probably make a longer bolt to secure the keeper washer - I don't want the wheel just sitting there. Any creative ideas for how to make my slightly wider spare fit in the space (without structurally changing anything)? Worst case scenario I just live without the parcel shelf. It was more important to me to have 5 matching tires.

kk88rrc

You should be able to make it fit. I have 235/70/16 and it just barely fits. Parcel shelf is a very tight fit. IIRC there should be a couple of options where the bolt & keeper attach. I'll pop out later & take a look.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
That's encouraging. I'll go mess with it later today to see if I can improve the fit.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
It fits fine I believe I went through one of the wheel stud holes and not center cap. You can fit a 235/85 in that spot, you have to massage it in with a hammer.

You will have to remove the seatbelt reel.

I'll post a photo

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
That would be helpful, I'm curious to see how it looks. I rearranged the wheel again yesterday and made it fit okay but it still is too wide for the parcel shelf.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
I dont have the parcel shelf as my Classic is the base model. a 225/75 KM2 fits fine for me in the factory location. Ive never really understood the allure of the RRC parcel shelf...

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
you have to massage it in with a hammer.

That is a beautiful turn of phrase.

The parcel shelf is by no means a critical piece of gear, but if it's sitting in the back of my truck then it's not taking up space in my already overcrowded garage. I don't store anything in sight in the back of my Range Rover - anything of value is concealed behind the side panels - but if I'm running errands and have multiple stops then it's handy to have a quick way to cover up anything I want to leave in back. The truck isn't exactly Fort Knox. A 12-year old could probably open the tailgate with a popsicle stick.

The bigger tire leans into the cargo space more than the skinnier stock tire. Even though it fits fine behind the seatbelt reel, under the carpet cover, and inside the side panel, it reduces the distance between parcel shelf mounting points by about 1.5 inches - enough that I can't close it properly. I wonder if I could trim the edge of the side panel to create more room for the wheel...hmmm....

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
I have 245/75/16 in my RRC. I had to dimple the floor with a ball peen hammer to get the vertical space. I still had to raise the seat belt anchor to clear the taller tire. I resealed the floor at the seams afterward. I trimmed the spare tire cutout on the left side cover for the wider tire. I have the parcel shelf installed with no clearance problems at all.

aliastel

Sep 27, 2009
Champaign, IL
I had 245/75R16 on a couple of my Range Rovers and it just fit in the spare location, but I used a ratchet strap to hold it in place.