Water ingress to front footwells

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
What are the common culprits?
My '94 is an SD and therefore no sunroofs. The front floorpans had some rust but they're salvageable. I want to get everything else sealed up though to prevent future issues.
Here are two issues I'm aware of.
1) PO has a 2/0 cable running through the passenger firewall. I'm going to silicone that up.
2) PO ran wires behind the exterior trim of the A-pillar for roof lights. Not sure if this would contribute to wateron the passenger floor though?

Icannap1

Mar 3, 2015
OC, CA
I am dealing with the same problem. After some rain, the rover had that wet smell to it, so I removed the carpet and padding from both sides as I found it wet after some rain we had. After it dried up I ran water from a hose on the front fenders, no water in the rover, then I ran water from the hose over the top front of the roof, and now I see water pooling up on the floor boards. I still need to take the front lower plastic that covers the windshield wipers I believe it is creeping in between the lower portion of the windshield and the body behind the plastic cover. I had a similar issue before, but it was water running down the inside of the windshield where water would creep in from the top of the windshield between the rubber seal, glass, and body. I may need to just have a glass guy remove the windshield so I can clean up the area then have him install and reseal the windshield to the body. I will probably need to replace the rubber molding as it is also trashed. Anyone know where I can get a new rubber molding kit for a descent price?

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
look in the service bulletin section here , iirc there is one on windshield drains .....sounds like that may be where its coming froom

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I had corrosion on the scuttle on either side near the bonnet hinges letting water into my D2 where it had rotted through. PO had siliconed the area up and when I gave the stuff a tug, it came off in chunks with rusted metal attached to it.:mad:

1) PO has a 2/0 cable running through the passenger firewall. I'm going to silicone that up.
Don't use regular silicone, it contains acetic acid and will cause corrosion and make even more problems down the line. It also can't be painted over so always looks like a bodge. Get a polyurethane sealant, instead.

aliastel

Sep 27, 2009
Champaign, IL
With the interior still out, wait till a good hard rain and see where the water is coming in, or use a hose and see if you can duplicate the leak like that. All of my D1's had wet carpet in the front. I think it could also be just the fact that the insulation under the carpet really never dries out since it is basically a sponge. So, water from shoes or even condensation builds up and eventually rots it out.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Haven't done anything yet. Just finished pulling the interior out, POR15ing the front floors and some other spots, amd painting the entire floor with oul based Rustoleum.

When I do get around to the water issue I'll be remedying the places I mentioned and also following the TSB here on Dweb.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I believe this is one area water is entering.

I scraped all the crud and dried up sealer off and painted. Next step will be that Leak Sealer stuff.

mdcoa

Jan 25, 2013
Southern Pines, NC
Just did the same thing to my leaky D1--hit the same spot with the rubber-in-a-can sealant. It helped, but didn't cure the leaks completely--was still getting leaks dripping in near the a-pillars on both sides.

I pulled the headliner down to check my sunroof drains (sunroof is sealed shut, but just in case I missed a spot . . . ), found one of them was snapped off. Repaired with brass fitting and some JB Weld.

Last week after heavy rain I noticed my headliner was wet by the driver's side a-pillar. So I pulled the liner down again (I'm getting good at it) and sprayed water on the roof. No leakage from sunroofs or from the luggage rail mounting points, but I was getting very slight water beading at the roof/a-pillar junction on both sides. Hit that junction with silicone from windscreen around to door; hope that solves that.

Suspect I'll still have some water dripping in--probably need to seal up everything that goes through the firewall and maybe even pull the wings again and spray-test my seal job on those.

If the problem is that scuttle hole near the windscreen, how does one access it?