Suggestions and Questions - '95 Disco rescue

UNCCHcane

Jul 4, 2006
Noth Carolina
I'm finally getting around to trying to save my '95 Disco from the scrap pile. Had it since '98 and it fell into disrepair in the late 2000s. Now that I'm older and have a modicum of disposable income (at least what has been authorized for release by my wife), I'm trying to stockpile parts so I can tackle repair jobs on free weekends.

Managed to replace the tie rod ends a month or so ago. Starter was also toast; that was a fun job. Suspension is original, so I'm planning on replacing that, along with the trashed bushings. Brake line that runs along the frame to the rear gave out immediately after I replaced the tie rod ends. A/C compressor is shot, but Will Tillery gave me a good deal on a used one. But a few questions: is there anything else I should consider refreshing/replacing while I'm plunking down some cash? Should I just replace all brake lines while I'm at it? I have the Rave manual, and it does a very British job of detailing replacement of the busted line. (I mean the illustrations in that manual - tf bruh) Is that just as easy as getting the hose, bending it like the busted one, and refitting?

The A/C button on the console and the blower control slider don't work (well, slider works in the off position and in full blast - 1-3 aren't options) - best fix to get on the horn with Will and get a replacement unit for that part of the panel? From a diagnostic standpoint - the lights on the climate control unit work sporadically -- maybe a bad connection causing the whole problem?

Another question - the wiper stalk on the steering column is busted. The job seems easy - but I'm worried about the airbag going off in my face when I try and take the wheel off. Unfounded concern or legitimate threat to my dome?

Anyway, just looking for some guidance. I would like to make the vehicle a little more trail-worthy. My wife and I enjoy the outdoors, and now that we have a kid we want to be able to do some camping and easy trail riding. I was looking at the suspension kits on Lucky8 - would the Terrafirma kit be a good choice that would also be a straightforward swap with the old suspension? Go with the Polybush set for bushings?

Should I buy a parts vehicle? There's a '98 with a blown headgasket on craigslist for $900. Seems to be in good condition overall - lower miles than mine and few years newer. Assuming all the things I need are there and working - good idea or how you unintentionally start a junkyard?

Hi,
Light from climate control panel is only one bulb. Change it when you repair sliding control.
The blower control slider is serviceable. You can take it out, disassemble and pull the contact spring , check the contact ways, and let their surface bright and smootb. Test it before you bring it again to dashboard. I suggest to change Brake hoses too. Check and lube u-' i
You can give your Disco a polishing, as it not un an aluminum body it will see as new. Tb 7h mm h viernes​

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Disconnect battery and wait 5 minutes before doing anything with the steering wheel to make the airbag safe.

Do all the brake lines as long as you're fixing the one. Just use the existing lines as your pattern.

How's the engine? That parts vehicle you mentioned is cheap! And yes, that is how you get on the road to owning a junk yard. Just ask PT Schram.

How is you cooling system? Radiator, hoses, expansion tank...water pump?

Spark plugs and wires?

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
cooling system should be the first order of business or you will soon have your own blown head gasket. These trucks do seems to enjoy fresh (cheap) plugs and fat wires.

Since it has been sitting pay special attention to the ground points. Give them a cleaning because the electrical system gets really freaky without solid grounds.

The turn signal stalk is stupid easy. Just remove the screw (s) (2 IIRC) from the bottom cover of the steering column, turn the wheel left in order to expose the two screws which hold the stalk in place, slide the old unit out and slide the new unit in. If it takes you more than 5 minutes you are doing something wrong.

UNCCHcane

Jul 4, 2006
Noth Carolina
Expansion tank is somewhat recent (within the last 8 years). Thermostat was replaced around the same time. It does have a tendency to run warm in the middle of summer when idling at a light, so a new radiator may be a worthwhile investment. I'll order new hoses - intended to replace those just didn't list them. Water pump within the last five years.

Plugs/wires/rotor button/distributor on the list as well. Any suggestions on wires? Just OME?

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Expansion tank is somewhat recent (within the last 8 years). Thermostat was replaced around the same time. It does have a tendency to run warm in the middle of summer when idling at a light, so a new radiator may be a worthwhile investment. I'll order new hoses - intended to replace those just didn't list them. Water pump within the last five years.

Plugs/wires/rotor button/distributor on the list as well. Any suggestions on wires? Just OME?

Kingsborne 8mm wires have always worked well for me. Using them on both the D1 and the D2.

https://www.kingsbornewires.com/Defender-Discovery-Range-Rover-Morgan-SparkPlugWir-p/ign 785.htm

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
+1 on Kingsborne. good value. Also, my truck is very happy with NGK BPR6ES plugs.

UNCCHcane

Jul 4, 2006
Noth Carolina
Thanks for the Kingsborne info - going to get those ordered today. Best deal on hose kits that I've seen seems to be DAP. Any other good deals to be had? Best to just go get the brake line from AutoZone?

I'll try and post some pictures once I get into this thing.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
A 1998 parts truck will not have complete interchangeability with a 1995 Disco. Several things changed after 1995 model year. Some of the noteworthy differences include:

new engine management system (14CUX on 95, GEMS on 96-99)
fuel pump
seats
some dash controls

If you want the 98 parts truck for engine components, they won't be compatible with your 95. Lots of other parts will be, though, so depending on what you need it might still be a good value for you.

UNCCHcane

Jul 4, 2006
Noth Carolina
Thanks Tugela - that was definitely a concern, but after brief consultation with my wife it was vetoed. I think she sees it as the pathway to junkyard as well. However, I do believe I was able to loosen the purse strings a little more so it was a worthwhile proposal.

I just ordered like $800 worth of parts so this thing is happening -- and if it doesn't happen then keep an eye on the "parts for sale" section.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I just ordered like $800 worth of parts so this thing is happening -- and if it doesn't happen then keep an eye on the "parts for sale" section.

Congratulations. Good luck with the projects. I just bought a 1993 Range Rover, so if your engine parts show up on the market I may want a thing or two (but for your Rovering benefit I hope they don't).

Keep posting questions, folks here will try to be helpful, and the worst thing that happens is you'll get some smartass answers.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Fan clutches are REALLY difficult to judge. There are all sorts of 'tests' such as the "if it spins more than a quarter turn after reaching operating temp it is bad", "cardboard should not be able to stop it when it is spinning", etc, etc.

A couple of thoughts...
- if your radiator shroud (top and bottom) is missing, get one. They are essential for the fan to be effective.
- you can get relatively inexpensive replacements at autozone. I found the 'medium-duty' version too aggressive. It seems to spin far too often and was really loud. Also may put undue wear on water pump bearing. At then end of the day I ordered a stock clutch from AB. Everyone has different priorities and opinions on this one, but the fan clutch is super important so whatever road you take, make sure it works.

UNCCHcane

Jul 4, 2006
Noth Carolina
Figured I'd update. Replaced the rear brake lines last night. The existing lines basically crumbled when I pulled them out. The layout, however, is comical and can't be replicated perfectly. My new layout does follow the same general pattern, just a little bit uglier. Still need to bleed the system because the brake pedal isn't any stiffer (which concerns me slightly) but until I bleed I'm not going to think about needing a new servo or master cylinder. I checked the condition of the front lines - they seem to be in pretty good shape and with the amount of work left just to pass inspection, I'm not going to create more projects than necessary.

I think I'm just going to buy and install a new fan clutch - for $50 seems like a cheap test that doesn't hurt me too much.

UNCCHcane

Jul 4, 2006
Noth Carolina
Two issues I've run into during this rescue:

1) Disco has a hesitation/stall issue if I goose the accelerator. If I gently ease into the throttle, no problem, but any more pressure that that and it acts like it's fuel starved. Sometimes it stalls, other times it catches after a hesitation. I cleaned the IACV and it's got brand new plugs/wires/rotor button/cap. MAF seems to be in OK shape, and it isn't throwing any codes. Thoughts?

2) I had to replace the the wiper stalk on the steering column. The damn manual says you have to take the wheel off but having gotten it off, I'm seeing that wasn't the case. Regardless, the switch housing (where the wiper and signals stalks slot) won't tighten down. It looks like the housing has been off in the past, as the screw that tightens the housing is rounded out. I'm going to replace the screw, but I can't get the housing to tighten down even with a similar placeholder screw. Has anyone had an issue with this before?

3) O2 sensors - I've seen info in different places that I can use a cheaper O2 sensor if I swap out the connections. Is that right?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
1. Sounds like a worn TPS

2. Don't know

3. That's very old info. the correct ones are now affordable

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
1995 will be a pre-AEL truck (round canister next to the coolant overflow tank). Be sure to get the correct O2 sensors. NTK 25016 seem to be the most widely available.