20004 D2 ABS pump leak and other issues

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
On top of the ABS pump there are two round retainers (maybe?). Not sure if that's the right word. They are roughly the size of a quarter, each held in by a pair of allen head fasteners. In the center of the retainers is what appears to be a plastic insert. One of them is leaking brake fluid from the insert. Is this a serviceable part?

Coincidentally, I washed under the hood to get rid of the brake fluid and now the service engine light is on.:banghead: Hopefully it resolves itself after things dry out a little.

The climate controls are acting up. The lower part of the panel is not always illuminated but the controls always worked. The other day the whole display was out, nothing worked at all, then it worked after a key cycle. I suspect a poor connection but I'm not sure how the panel comes apart. I haven't had much time to investigate.

Can someone provide the link to a service manual? I've seen it here before but neglected to download it.

Hi,
below these retainers there are two expansion chambers (springs, pistons and seals). I think you can find a seal kit for this Wabco regulator. It is the same shape as hummer units. You can find some service images on this link http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/brakes/absmod.pdf

My Disco has a Td5 engine, so the way to get Check Engine lamp on with water is different to yours. But I think it's possible it will turn off after dry out.

Your climate control has some bulbs out. You need some special bulbs as seen here: http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/replace-climate-control-bulbs-discovery-2/

You only need to know the way to extract the panel from dash.
You must introduce a plastic card (due credit card) in the upper slot from the button panel (SLS up, Blinker, HDC...) at left from the panel, and another card in lower slot of same panel. With these cards you will depress some fixing teeths, and you can pull buttons panel out. You now will find trough remaining hole a metallic side spring retainer from climate control panel. Depressing it You can pull panel out. If it's not enough pulling panel from only left side, you can insert cards at right, over and below clock panel to get it out, and reaching right side from control panel.
Bulb change and connectors are shown at video

Regards

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Doesn't look good. There is no service kit that I have found yet. Dealer will sell me a brand new ABS module for 1950.00 Used ones appear to be available for 400 bucks from rover land parts.

I see there is a different version where the two retaining caps are solid and do not have the hole in the center with the plastic insert. Since everything is working fine I'm considering a metal knockout and some epoxy may be an inexpensive cure.

Last edited:

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
I'd think you could find a used one somewhere in Michigan or try a few of the vendors here. They usually do not fail the your did. I seem to remember a service bulletin where they replace those caps but my memory is failing.

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Hi,
may be with affected parts as sample you could ask to get new seals in a Brake spareparts store. Meritor parts.

Regards

All searches reveal only available as assembly. Apparently you can get a shuttle valve kit but it does me no good since that is not the affected part. I did find the service bulletin. It is for a complete assembly. The new assemblies do not have the hole and plastic insert.

I am going to epoxy a piece of metal onto the cap. Careful prep and some west systems epoxy. I am confident this will work. Worst case scenario is it fails later on and I purchase a used modulator for 400 bucks.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
If I remember right these were under recall for some such problem. Maybe check the bulletins for this, I know it had something to do with replacing the plastic caps that were failing off road.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
There was a service bulletin for those caps.
Roverland parts charges like new prices for used parts.

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Message sent.

Got it. Thank you. Coincidentally the guy up the street is selling an 03 D2. He's asking 1800.00 Sounds like it got some issues. He said it leaks coolant all over, leaks oil all over, needs power steer pump, drivers window is inop, rear door handle is inop from outside. It does run and drive though.

I was thinking maybe this could be a donor car but not for 1800.00. I don't know what all is interchangeable from the 2003 to my 2004 but I was considering offering maybe a grand. On the other hand, I don't need any more hobbies and maybe I'll sell the one I have.

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Giving this epoxy repair a go. We're supposed to get frost tonight so heat lamp in place to help the curing in cold temps. I guess we'll see how it goes. I used some west system gflex epoxy and a couple scraps of aluminum. It's not real pretty but I am confident it will work. I'm in the boat repair business so I am familiar with epoxy repairs. This obviously isn't a typical application. My next thought is to have a local machine shop make the retainers absent the hole in center. Worst case scenario is it still leaks, I'm out a couple bucks and I gotta buy the used pump. Not giving up.

Last edited: