2013 RRS Lemon?

soccrscot11

Aug 2, 2005
England
I'm looking at a 2013 RRS HSE LUX that was bought back under the Lemon Law here in CA. I'm waiting to get the list of items that were repaired ($5500) but can anyone offer and words or opinions on buying a lemon car? The rover has 49K miles on it and comes with a 12 month unlimited warranty. Again and thoughts would be much appreciated.  I already read the sticky regarding buying and RRS and took note of all the things to check out.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
A lot of times vehicles are bought back because the customer can't afford them. The vehicle may have had a problem, but it might not have been serious.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The rover has 49K miles on it and comes with a 12 month unlimited warranty.

That's good news. The bad news is that in month 13 something really expensive will probably break. If you're serious about buying it try to include an extended warranty as part of the transaction. If the dealership will give it certified pre-owned status then you should be able to buy a longer warranty, but given the vehicle's history they may not be willing to go that far. Can't hurt to ask. I paid for an extended warranty when I bought my CPO Jetta Cheaterwagen and it more than paid for itself when the high-pressure fuel pump went out.

A more fundamental question you might consider is whether you can afford long term ownership of the most complex Range Rover yet made. I don't know much about them, but I'm guessing the L405 is not as user-friendly as the Classic or even the P38 to work on for the amateur weekend mechanic. You'll either need to invest in specialized computer diagnostic equipment and be prepared to learn a lot, or be prepared for $3,000 visits to the dealer. Either way, my sense is that L405 ownership is not for the faint of heart or shallow of wallet. But you'll be loving the ride every second that it's running well.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
If the dealership will give it certified pre-owned status then you should be able to buy a longer warranty

This for sure.

The one problem looks like the battery was being drained by something and then just replaced. Not sure if the real problem was fixed or if the PO just kept draining it so after about 2 years needed replace.

As Tugela mentioned they are complex beasts so hopefully you can get an extended warranty or an awesome deal to have money saved for repairs.

soccrscot11

Aug 2, 2005
England
That's it? Those are all normal things to fail. Definitely sounds like a person that couldn't afford it or was just tired of it and couldn't accept how much it had depreciated.

I thought the same thing. The seal that was replaced was a for the fuel pump. In 2013 the RRS was still built off of the LR3 chassis right? We are also looking at a 2006 LR3. Is there anything in particular that is a common failure on the L320s or LR3s for that matter?

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah, same chassis. I would would go for the newer vehicle even though the 5.0 engine isn't as good as the 4.4. The vehicles have all of the same problems, but the 5.0 has issues with timing chain tensioners (not a huge deal) and water pumps.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
... but that 5.0 will put a huge grin on your face!

Definitely much more drivable than the 4.4L. Really, the timing chain tensioners won't fail if you change the oil regularly. I never did that job until I moved to NYC. In Long Island we did that job all the time since people have to drive their cars and sit idling constantly but don't get the oil changed until 15k, so probably more like 30k of run time. In Manhattan we rarely do that job since most people only put a few thousand miles a year on their vehicles and just have them serviced yearly.

Timing chains tensioner failures should not scare someone away from these trucks.