fuel pump or relay - how to tell?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The Disco (1998, AEL) died while my wife was driving it on Friday night. Had it towed home, I took a look at it yesterday. Turning the ignition the starter and fan fire up. With key in position 2 I can't hear the fuel pump running. Zero fuel pressure at the rail. This makes me think it's the pump. If that's the case, no big deal- I have a spare in the garage.

But prior to failure I heard a click regularly when I depressed the throttle. Not every time, but frequently. Sounded like a relay and it sounded like it was coming from the transmission tunnel but I couldn't be sure. Occasionally the truck would stumble at hot start. RAVE shows the fuel pump relay is behind the passenger footwell kick panel. I don't think that was where the sound was coming from but again, it was hard to tell.

Is there a definitive way to determine if the problem is one cause or the other? I don't have the parts or familiarity with the relay the way I do with the pump. What else should I be checking?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Given that the age of the pump in the truck is unknown, I have a working OEM spare of known age, and I have access to the handy-dandy LR special fuel pump ring tool, I'm going to replace the pump. If it doesn't resolve the issue then I have a good pump installed and can narrow the possibilities from there.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
It was the fuel pump. Installed the spare and the engine fired right up and is running well. Now...to either rebuild the pump I just removed or buy another since the value of having a spare was just clearly illustrated. Maybe Marty will ship me one air freight?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This is my second fuel pump failure in 9 years of ownership, one on each Disco. I guess that is often enough.