D1 Cruise Control

ME Island

Hi Everyone,

On my new-to-me '97 D1, the cruise control does not work - nor did it work for the previous P.O.

The CC fuse looks fine and the light goes on at the CC switch. The tube is connected at the brake switch.

Sorry but I could not search for this first...

Next steps?

Thanks,

Jeff

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Carefully check all of the vacuum hose, every inch. Do not assume it is good. At all the connections and through the firewall.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
If you're checking hose you might as well just replace it.
Things to check
-hose
-switch by brake pedal
-pump
If those are good its probably your Cruise ECU. There's a very good write up here on how to replace it with the D2 ECU.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
My money is on the cruise ecu. The vacuum lines that corover mentioned are probably rotted off the truck too. But what happens to the cruise ecu is the drivers inside burn up and cause the vacuum pump to never be powered up. You should be able to find a writeup on here someplace about converting the system to a Disco2 cruise ecu. Don't waste your money or time looking for a used one, it will also be bad. I havent seen a good cruise ecu in a disco1 for a long time.

Cruise ecu is about the only thing that got better with the disco2, don't you agree Canus?

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
I would also recommend pulling the cover off of the steering column and inspecting the wiring going to and from the rotary switch. Every D1 I have had has burned up wiring from the rotary switch. For me no big deal, I just pitch the cruise anyway.

mburnett

Jul 26, 2008
Archbold, Ohio
Both times mine has quit working it was the pedal switch. One time the plastic tab was broken that holds it in place. It was out of adjustment another time. You have to pull it out and then press the pedal down to ratchet it into position.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Also check the vacuum ball by the throttle body.

I've had broken vacuum T's, cracked vacuum line, bad ECU, dirty c/c switch, and one vacuum ball with a crack in it.

I've never had a pump fail on a D1 yet. Mainly cause it was never used due to other parts being broken lol.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
This one.
https://tinyurl.com/39gucf6

39gucf6